Sweet gum balls...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hartlawnmain, Mar 19, 2004.

1. hartlawnmain

hartlawnmain LawnSite Member

Guys, I have a man who wants the sweet gum balls in his backyard removed. Anyone have any experience with these? Best to rake 'em, blow 'em or mow over 'em first? I know this is wide open for jokes so if you must...go ahead! LOL

2. AssistSuper

AssistSuper Banned

Well....if you mow over them you're gonna just shoot them all over the place.

Raking requires work, I know no body wants to do that.

I advise to blow em on a tarp and haul off.

3. hartlawnmain

hartlawnmain LawnSite Member

Thanks. I was wondering about mowing since it makes sense if the grass is shorter, they'd be easier to blow onto a tarp. Never really dealt with 'em before other than stepping on 'em when I'm barefooted. Ouch!

4. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

i have lots more experience with sweet gum balls than i'd like to have...the problem is a blower just pushes them further downinto the turf alot of times...if its not too big an area i suggest raking (ugh) if its big just use a blower (a strong one), and do the best you can...no way to do it with a mower though.

5. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

This is definately a rake project! Never fun stuff, but in the long run it may pay off! Customers remember these things and it helps develop that loyalty that we all seek.

6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

A mower will push them into the ground and you may never get them up. Rake the lawn and sell them on tree injections for next year.

7. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

get raking

-
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

8. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member

I've used my Shindaiwa PowerBroom or a backpack blower or both to put them into piles and then haul them away. I think the biggest Echo, Red Max, or Shindaiwa blower works best.

9. SCFF

SCFF LawnSite Member

I use the blower to get them into piles, then rake em or put them in buckets. You could use the mower with the chute up if you want to chase away some pesky kids or the neighbors.:D

10. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

on second thought i think i would just fire up the 036pro and lay that tree down gum trees are ugly smelly trees anyway