Sweet Job?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Duck Dodger, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Duck Dodger

Duck Dodger LawnSite Senior Member

This may not be the right thread but it is landscaping, sort of. One of my best customers has bees and is having problems getting them to produce. He asked me what we could plant that would help. Besides money I think this could give me some turely sweet benefits.:rolleyes: Any ideas?:confused:

2. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you looking for plants that produce nectar for the bees to be able to produce honey from? Different plants will have a profound effect on the honey the bees produce. If your client is a bee keeper, they should have a list of desirable plants as nectar producers.

Kirk

3. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

Ive heard that clover is good bees to make honey, just dont want the clover in my lawn :D

4. Duck Dodger

Duck Dodger LawnSite Senior Member

I knew about clover but there is no where I would want to plant it. The owner has bees but is not what you would call abee keeper. He just sees random things and tries new stuff all the time. He knows nothing about what he is doing.

5. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

When I had bees, they loved my father's corn and raspberries. A bee with travel up to 7 miles in search of nector. They also love dandelions.

Perhaps he does not have enough worker bees (females) and has too many drones (males). If this is the case, he needs to get a new queen.