Sweet

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Scag48, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Got laid off today, rad. We were supposed to have 2 hoes digging the footings, now we've gone down to one, so that basically cuts another operator and grade checker (me) from the loop. Back home to labor for my old man for about a month, then I'm off to the grounds in November to get my CDL. The state pushed back the 160 hour CDL class requirement to January I guess, class is only 2 weeks long still. Get that done, come back to the Seattle area and drive truck or something, haven't really decided. Was having a good day running a 400 until we ran out of stuff to do.

2. SouthernLandworks

SouthernLandworks LawnSite Member

That really sucks man. I think we will see more lay offs as the year end draws nearer although I havent seen too much of a drop in the trucking industry around here.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You will probably be called back once the company gets another project.

Working for your old man should last a week and you two will be fighting like cats and dogs :laugh:

Start hounding the union hall saying you want work :drinkup:

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah this sucks. It wouldn't be so bad getting laid off if I knew it was coming. I suppose that's how layoffs work, but doing 65+ hours a week to getting laid off is a touch drastic. Like I said, things were planned to have me around for another 6 weeks or so.

I have the dispatcher within the company as a resource, typically you gotta call every day at 5AM to find out if there's work for the day. Can't really do that when I'm 160 miles away back home. Figure I'll just let him know I'll be gone and if anything comes up, I need 12 hours of notice before they need me to get back over here.

Once I have my CDL I can drive truck. Most companies pay right around 15-17/hr. for drivers, depending on what you're doing. There's tons of job listings for that on Craigslist. Can always go back to landscaping if the need arises, that's what I'll be doing with my dad. I already told him I have little patience for his crap and he has more work than he knows what to do with right now so I have a bit of an advantage.

Matter of fact, union meeting is tonight. Suppose I'll go in there and beat on someone for a job. Gotta get something out of that $25 a month I pay for dues.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Come to Idaho when you get your CDL. I can use some good help.

6. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

But he doesn't run anything smaller than a 400, KSSS. Haha.

On a more serious note. Sorry to hear that you're laid off especially since they already told you they were keeping you on. Good luck getting a new job.

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I was thinking that a couple weeks without a paycheck, may make a 160 look a lot better.

8. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I'd sign up to run the 440 once the VTS gets on this winter.

9. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll take that Mack. That truck sure is sweet lookin. Sorry for the thread hijack, Scag.

Anyways how's that truck doing, KSSS? Had much work for it? And please tell me you got the potatoland bugs out of the grill since the last time you posted its picture.

10. bobcatuser

bobcatuser LawnSite Senior Member

You could add a CAT floor mat and some 400 decals to the 160, that might sweeten the deal.:laugh: