1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Swimming pool contamination

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ThreeWide, Jul 29, 2006.

1. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I am still fuming as I type this...

A client of mine claims that my application of fertilizer turned their pool green. Apps have been performed on this property for over 1 year with no incidient. The turf area is more than 10 feet from the pool edge at any point. I have other clients where turf is much closer than that.

They said a water sample showed Nitrogen content. Well so what, Nitrogen can be caused by rainfall can't it?

Anyone ever heard of such? I think I could be the scapegoat here.

And IF it was me, wouldn't the water sample also show sources of P and K? That might be my only defense.
  2. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

What % of the N in the product you used was slow released? SHow that in your defense if the amount of slow release is high. Also if their turf areas slope toward the pool with no drainage, then suggest they insert a tile. Offer that as a solution and you will appear less defensive. I am sure all they really want is a solution.
  3. davevg

davevg LawnSite Member

No water tests that I am aware of from a pool company tests for nitrogen.. The standard test strips test for pH, Alkalinity, and Chlorine. The tests at most pool stores add additional tests for cyanuric acid, TDS (Total dissolved solids), and hardness.

Sending your pool water to a out to a lab to determine what else is in it seems a little too overboard for a simple algae bloom. Sounds fishy to me. :)
  4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen white pines in close proximity to swimming pools wreak havoc with the color & water ph!
  5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it seems fishy...that is why I'm getting upset about.

They claim this is not the first time they've had problems with the pool turning green. But I was never contacted about this previously.

There are no trees around the pool at all.

Get this...they also said the pool was closed for 1 week while this problem was being corrected. I don't own a pool, but my neighbor told me that it only takes 2 days to correct an algae problem in the water.

Either they have an incompetent pool service, or a homeowner DIY that let the chlorine levels drop off.
  6. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like they went out of town and saw the pool and your door hanger. in the heat of the summer a pool needs daily attention (sometimes twice per day) and EVEN MORE if nobody swims in it for several days.
  7. nbizati

nbizati LawnSite Member

I would tell them that there is no standard pool test for chlorine unless like the other post said a sample was shipped out to a lab. Which is extremely unlikely. Secondly I am not aware of fertilizer especially slow release nitrogen of turning pool water green. It is more than likely that they ran out of chlorine or the ph was out of balance. It looks like pin the tail on the LCO. I would drop them the first chance I got. JMO:hammerhead:
  8. nbizati

nbizati LawnSite Member

I meant there is no standard test for nitrogen. Sorry for the double post.
  9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

also, it's most likly not the N that caused the alage, it's the P in the fert. doing aquatics, it's the P that causes the algae blooms, it's the mineral that is missing in the water table (here in INDIANA).
  10. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

look for iron stains in the bottom of the pool from the fert. No way you cause algae bloom from a couple granules maybe from a bag. Have the water tested yourself and get a reputable pool company to explain just what CAN cause this.
    Im in Fla and have gotten my share of fert pebbles into pools and NOTHING comes of it other than the rust stains.