1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Swimming Pool Waterfall from the Ground Up

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Green Goblin, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Green Goblin

Green Goblin LawnSite Member

I have built many waterfalls for ponds but not for pools. We are being asked to demo existing waterfall which looks like a pile of rocks and build a new one with a smoother fall. This will be easy as I know what type of rock to use and how to construct it. I guess where I am having the problem is how do I build up the overall stream and waterfall? Do I use the stone to build retaining walls then backfill with soil and tamp until I get the height I want then set the liner in? do I use concrete block underneath to stabilize? Essentially I am afraid of the stream settling out. How would you guys prep the area to build a fall that starts out at 3' high, approximately 8' behind the pool. They really want the stream/fall area naturalized with plantings but,I also don't want this thing to put debris into the pool. Help!!!!!!!!
  2. landscaperbob

landscaperbob LawnSite Member

Built my first pool falls last year.....here is a pic(I hope-first post)......e-mail for details if interested

3. landscaperbob

landscaperbob LawnSite Member

Here is another pic

4. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I want that pool. Awesome waterfall.
  5. Green Goblin

Green Goblin LawnSite Member

Landscaper Bob,

I couldn't get your email address. Mine is amburgeygardens@aol.com
    I really, really like yours. I am probably looking at only one like the center main fall. I plan on coming out of the top at a 30-45 degree angle for interest. Having it drop one fall in the middle. Then the final drop into the pool. I hadn't responded before today because I thought they didn't want to do it but they up and give me a call today wanting it done. So I need a little instruction in a hurry. I am familiar with building pond waterfalls. I already have the line from the pond installed just not sure on how to "correctly" go about building up berm and laying stone like you did.