swimming pool waterfall question

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by manfromearth, Apr 25, 2006.

1. manfromearth

manfromearth LawnSite Member

I'm currently considering doing a waterfall that will spill into a swimming pool. I've built lots of ponds, but only one swimming pool application and that was 10 years ago. I remember being perplexed about something. I used an EPDM liner and had trouble with how to seal the liner to the pool lip (coping) so that any water from the water course didn't find it's way under the liner. Do I need to seal the liner to the pool lip with an adhesive and make sure it is cut close so that it doesn't show when folks are looking at the lowest rock just above the water level of the pond ? I plan on letting the rock overhang by several inches and that should help to disquise the liner below. Also, I plan on doing a good job of mortaring the water course so that very little water finds it's way to the liner underneath the rock. Am I on the right track? Has anyone tried doing something different? I don't want to rely totally on mortaring of the water course to keep water off the liner (cracks and crevices are eventually going to allow some water to find it's way below at some point) and I have had situations where water will "crawl" under a rock that serves as the last rock before the water spills into the main reservoir (or pool, in this case) and then eventually under the liner, which would not be good. Thanks!!
  2. Beartooth

Beartooth LawnSite Member

I'm in the same situation right now and have been debating the use of EPDM. I think I have reached a decision to just go with concrete and forego the EPDM altogether.
  3. manfromearth

I don't think I could build any kind of recirculating water feature and rely on concrete alone. Just not that brave....still, my question remains - how and where do I seal the liner to the swimming pool coping so that liner is not seen and water does not escape the confines of the liner? Thanks!
  4. landscaperbob

landscaperbob LawnSite Member

I did my first pool falls 2 years ago w/out liner,just mortar.For something like this I think you need to pour a pad to start.You can't afford settling. How would you put a liner down/pitch it and get all that dirty water into the pool ? Here is a pic of mine. Currently bidding another(smaller).

5. manfromearth

Now, after seeing your pictures (which look great, by the way), I may have to rethink my liner idea. As far as the dirty water, though, I washed every rock before using them and that seemed to do the trick. I can see myself, if I were to not use a liner, going to extremes to make sure the pad held up (adding fiberglass to the concrete, using acrylic additives where the pad meets the pool, rebar everywhere, pouring it extra deep, etc.). Thanks for the advice!