1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Swing away hitch mounts

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by The Captain, Oct 24, 2006.

1. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Have any of you ever built a "'swing away" type mount that plugs into your hitch receiver? I want to make something similar to the hitch mounts used by Trac Vac or Billy Goat for their debris loaders. (Only less expensive.) If I attach a luggage carrier to it I won't have to pull a trailer for clean ups. I can secure the blowers, gas cans and other stuff on it. I want to swing it to the side so I can dump the load without unloading the equipment. Anyone have pictures or ideas? Better yet,am I wasting my time trying to do this?????

The Captain
  2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I think I have an idea of what you are trying to acheive and I can almost picture it in my head. The biggest issue that I am imagining is the weight of the equipment that you put in the rack can be supported evenly across the rear of the truck with the receiver being the middle balalnce point while it is closed, but when you swing it out, all fo that weight will be bearing on the hinge point on one side.

If you can overcome this, then I am sure it is possible if you are a good fabricator. Sounds like a good project. I could probably help you design it if you need some creative assistance.
  3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We attach ours to the side of our plywood leaf box. Two back pack blowers, rakes, and fuel jugs. Don't have to waste time when dumping. If you are talking a walk behind blower then I would mount a receiver on the front bumper and put the blower there. Time is money.
    We have our leaf loader mounted to the front end of the truck with a hose going to the box behind. Drive to our dump, lossen two tiedown straps on the rear door and hit the switch to dump the load. Drive ahead 10' reverse the switch, jump out to tighten the two straps get back in and drive back to the jobsite. We can also haul the trailer if need be. I can dump with the trailer hooked on and just drive over the pile. Keep in mind my wife does most of the work by herself so I have to make it easy or she makes me help. :canadaflag:
  4. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Just take the kind that are for bike and have one made that is more sturdy to hold the load. I think Thule makes one. Go to thule.com and check under bikes.

Here is a picture of there swing away bike rack for a 2" reciver. You would just need the bottom part with the hinge.

5. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

b&w makes a swing away hitch for your reciever.
  6. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

I have a question. Can you mount a swing away mount on a low profile dump trailer. Or will it hit the ground when you are dumping
  7. S3Scooter

S3Scooter LawnSite Member

I just had one mounted to my wheel under Brimar, and it clears by only a few inches. Welder told me that the front of the trailer lifts up about 4 inches when the machine is on the back. While not on a truck of course. I have not added the box to it yet, and that will probably add the weight I need to level it out. I am going to pick it up tomarrow, so when I am done I will try and post some pics.
  8. S3Scooter

Having seen one of the Giant Vac brand mounts, I will tell you they are real heavy duty. Probably 125-150 lbs. Machined pices ont and everything, they are no joke. Check Ebay, I think a guy in Illinois had one ontheir for sale and had no hits on it. Billy Goat brand. The pice that slides in to your reciever alone is a solid pice of steal, not tubing like on your trailer hitch. I would go with the real deal, and make your alterations off of that.

9. horizonmowing

horizonmowing LawnSite Member

Hey there. I use a billygoat debris loader with the swing away hitch that billy goat offers. It is great when it comes time to unload. Anyway, I dont see how your not going to pull a trailer. That was my goal, but its just not possible. I have three backpack blowers, a push blower, gas cans, rakes, latter if we do gutters ect.... Its going to be a pain, but there is no other way. Between my truck and trialer, the mess is just shy of 40 feet long. I did think about getting a front mounted hitch, and putting a rack on the front, but whatever, the trailer is just eaiser and i can bring the mower along if i want to bag. Let me know if you want pics of the box, loader, hitch ect.
  10. S3Scooter

Here is the swing away hitch mounted to the back of my trailer.