Swing out doors!

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by wanabe, Jan 15, 2010.

1. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Why in the world does anyone make swing out doors on skids? I have a T300 now and hate the door! Boom must always be down to the ground or there is no getting out. Takeuchi has the best door going in my view, along with the key/gauges down where they need to be. Why can't the other skid mfg's figure this out? Their system is just like the big excavators, and it has worked great for years. Deere making the door swing out is a huge mistake in my view. I know the old door thay had sucked, but just make the cab bigger and re design the overhead door!

2. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree that it is a PITA, but it is very difficult to seal a slide up door to keep dust out, and it makes the cab height an issue in some applications.

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Bwhahahahahahahaha!

All of a sudden a company that is on the bottom of the top 5 CTL market is now #1 for cabs.

Now all y'all know why I switched.

4. DeereMan85

DeereMan85 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

We haven't gotten our first D yet, but I hear the boom can be almost a foot up before interfering with the door. In reality, that's about as far up as it could be with the rollup door and still leave enough room to get in and out for a person of average size or larger. As Digdeep said, making the cab taller would increase overall height too much and the rollup door doesn't seal worth a crap.

5. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

I disagree about the roll up door sealing. The excavator door in my deere sealed very well. It can be done!

6. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

its no worse than a roll up windshield in a excavator, they seal just fine.

Give me a roll up door anyday. If I get a little dust on me so be it, If I didn't want to get dirty I'd go sit in a office.

7. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

What about when you are unloading something off of a trailer and your fuel filter clogs up while the loader is over the trailer deck. I can climb out of mine and at least go get it fixed with out help. Or the other day I had to move a Porta John on the job site so I climbed out and put the lap bar down and pulled the crap house toward the machine to keep it in the bucket while reaching in with my foot to push the joystick to roll the bucket back, If I had a swing out door the John would have hit the door and it wouldn't of worked. I love the roll up door on my takeuchi John Deere should have just improved their design and put the key and controls down under the door when it is open. With all that said I can't wait to run a new D series I would still buy one for a wheeled unit but my heart is stuck on Takeuchi for track machines.

8. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I like the idea of the roll up door but am not sold on them. I think there is a huge difference between an excavator cab and a skid steer cab.

9. DeereMan85

DeereMan85 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Exactly - the roll-up window is not a point of entry/exit on an excavator. Having a roll-up door that seals well, is large enough to get in/out comfortably, and has good visibility to the cutting edge on a skid steer requires one big, flat piece of glass for the door. This would require a redesign of the frame, boom or both on some skids, and would require adding a mega-tall cab on almost all of them. I don't think it's quite as easy as everyone thinks it is. Market research showed that the vast majority of people prefer a clean, quiet (read: sealed and pressurized) cab over the benefits of a roll-up door, and that is the reason Deere went away from it.

10. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Well that made me laugh, Deere went away from their design because it sucked, too many concusions is one of my bets, they couldn't get it right the first time.