swingback or solid blades

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dh500, Mar 10, 2005.

1. dh500

dh500 LawnSite Member

What factors are involved in the choice of swinging as against solid (one piece) blades? Since they are normally thinner material, swinging blades would be quicker to sharpen so the operator might sharpen them more often. Does this translate into a better cut? Is it safe to put swinging blades on a ZTR or does the combination of blade speed and available power make it too easy to fracture the blades if they hit a rock or something?

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of "swinging blades" are you referring to? Like Meg-Mo's?

3. dh500

dh500 LawnSite Member

I am not familiar with "Meg-mo's" but I have seen pictures on the Magna-matic forum which look more or less like what I had in mind.
    My previous tractor style ride-on (32 inch cut) had a single cutting disk which could be set up with either 2 or 4 blades (I generally used 2). The blades were about 6 inches long overall and were held on with special bolts allowing them to pivot freely. I guess the hope was that if the blade struck a solid object like a rock hidden in the grass it could be pushed back and so be less prone to damage. With the disk spinning fast, the centrifugal force holding the blades out would be considerable but what I was wondering if there would be any benefit in fitting similar blades to my new ZTR.
    With the old mower, there were only 2 edges to be sharpened and I used to do this very quickly using a small angle grinder without removing the blades by working through the discharge opening. Sharpening the blades on the ZTR takes much longer.

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds about like megmos. I haven't really used anything but traditional blades so i can't comment on anything different. There is a huge difference in the different "solid" blades. Go up to the search button and type in megmo. that can show you what they can do. good luck..hope i helped