1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

swingset/ playground area

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Amco Landscaping, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Amco Landscaping

Amco Landscaping LawnSite Member

Ok one of my customers wants something put around her playground in her yard so it looks nicer and is safer for the kids. I was thinking railroad ties framing the whole thing out and then filling with mulch anybody have any better ideas? or pictures?

2. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

Be very careful about this one. In our area there are special requirements regarding play area and the type of mulch used. What if the child slips, falls and hits her head on the timber you put around the play area? Are you going to be held liable?
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Mulch for a play area? Do you want to give these kids splinters?

Use pea gravel.
  4. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

Hey Amco-------

Matt, consider rubber mulch. Several colors out there, and there is a type especially for playgrounds. There are requirements also for depth of the mulch, for it to be effective, you know, safe for breaking falls. Several manufacturers out there, should be able to locate what you want, and get more info. by doing an internet search. See ya---

5. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

There is a company here that sells something called "Playground Turf"...it is basically mulch but it approved by the state for playgrounds.

I would think woodchips, peagravel, or rubber mulch but call the county or something to see what they reccomend.
  6. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

We use ASTM certified playground mulch. Our cost to buy is $21.00 per yard.
  7. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

Your right, but that rubber mulch is super expensive especially for playgrounds since EVERY piece of metal has to be removed from the ground up tires.