Swisher Mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

At a local farm store they have a 42" Swisher walk behind for only $1000. Has anyone used one? Would it be OK for just starting out?

Thanks...

2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Looks way to cheap. You probably will break it. Save your money and get a 36" commerical walkbehind.

3. Husky03

It looks cheap to me also, but I figured I would see if anyone had luck with it. I do not know whether to go with a 32" or a 36". I also do not know whether to go with a Deere, Husqvarna, Exmark, or Gravely. I do not have experience with any commercial mowers so I do not know what to go with. I have been to Holt equipment and they sell Deere,Scag, and Exmark. The guy there seemed friendly and he gave me a deal on my JS63, but this does not tell me how quick they actually can get me up and running if I have problem. I have not had any problems with my Deere. I have also been to the Gravely dealer where the guy was more than willing to let me try out the 34Z even though I am only 15. How can I tell if the dealer has good customer support? I need help, I do not know which mower to get. They have to all better than using a 21". I am tired of using my 21" for 8,000+ squre foot yards. I need something bigger.

4. Husky03

I have even considered the Quick 36 mower. It seems really nice for the price. Any of the brands of mowers I listed above I would get in belt because of price but the Quick 36 is hydro.

5. valleylawn79

valleylawn79 LawnSite Member

get the deere or exmark. have seen them work. dont know much about scag

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Look into Hustler walk-behinds also. They have a very easy control system. The best walkbehinds out there I think.

7. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Save your money and get a Bob-Cat commercial mower!!!!!!!!! I love my Bob-Cat 48",15 hp, belt drive walk behind mower!!!!!!

8. TXLAWNBOY

TXLAWNBOY LawnSite Member

Husky03,

Your profile say's you're 15 so I assume that you will be the only one using the equipt. I don't know how much money you have to spend, but I do know you need to go w/commercial equipt if you can. As far as size goes you need to answer a few questions, 1) Do your lawns have fences w/gates? if so 2) how wide is the smallest gate, and how big is the back yard you need to get to on the other side of that gate? I have not used any of the Gravely products yet but am planning on buying a few for next season. The Gravely 32" Pro G walk behind has a good warrenty and is priced around $2500. IMHO it would be a good unit to start with, and give you something to build on.

As far as dealer support does the dealer you are considering have other LCO's using him? If so talk to some of them to get a feel for the dealer. Don't take just one guy's opinion, also talk to the dealer, find out what he can do for you to help you out if a mower or equipt. of your's goes down. How fast will he get on it and can he supply you w/a loaner while yours is in the shop.

I am a realitively small op. and am somewhat new to the game myself but if you have any specific questions I will be glad to answer them the best I can, just IM me.