swisher mowers (walk behinds)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by buttaluv, Jun 4, 2001.

1. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

I'm a part timer, I only have 5 yards right now, most of them are pretty good size though, I've been looking at walk behinds, but I don't want to spend a fortune, because this is just part time and the reason i'm doing this is because i need the money, so spending 3500.00 on a walk behind is kinda out of the question. I've looked at a troybilt 9 horse 33" wb and a swisher 9 horse 42" wb, neither is hydro both have 4 gears, the TB is 1400.00 and the Swisher is 1000.00 my question is what do you pro's think about these machines, can you put a velke on them?? At the most i'll only be mowing about 10 yds in the future, any help is greatly appreciated..

second, I just have to get this off my chest, it's about all the talk about scrubs, I'm sad to say, but i'm probably a scrub, I use an old 92 Ford ranger, cheap equipment, cause that's what I can afford. I just throw my Craftsman Weedeater, my Craftsman Blower, and my Freebie (got it from a friend) 21" Troybilt push mower in the back and go... But I don't low ball anybody, and I show up like clockwork (depending on the weather)I've beend doing this for 3 yrs and have never had a client quit me yet, infact all the stuff that I do, (yard cleanup, mowing, lite landscaping) is done by referrals of the few people that I do work for on a regular basis.. Just remember most of those scrubs out there aren't doing this for glory, they're probably just like me, their full time jobs don't pay jack crap and this is just putting food on the table... sorry if I've offended anyone but that's how I feel..

2. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

You became a member in Dec. 2000 and this is your first post? I'm glad you finally got the "scrub issue" of your chest........not healty to let it build up.
    What's your location? I might have a sweet deal for you!

3. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

You're not a scrub my friend. Welcome to LS. Interact often. :D The pros had to start somewhere too.;)

4. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I have a Craftsman 8hp 33" walk behind which is similar to the Troy Built. I do wish I had the 9hp. I think it would mulch better in heavy grass. Honestly it leaves a great cut. The engine (B&S) runs great. I have had to replace the blade drive pully twice, the blade drive belt once and I have broekn one of the front plastic wheels twice. Mine is three speed and gets around pretty good. I mow 45 lawns a week and use the 33" on 6 of them. If you have hills you have to man handle is sometimes though. If you can see your way to do so I would recommend buying a 36 belt or hydro commercial unit.

Just my 2 cents.

5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

You can get a used 48 inch commercial mower in very good shape for 1200 bucks. This mower will probly lasy 4 times as long as a new troybuilt and will also give a nicer cut!

6. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

"This mower will probly lasy 4 times as long as a new troybuilt and will also give a nicer cut!" ..........most deff.

7. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

hey oneExmark, I'm located near Kansas City Mo. Let me know what your "sweet deal" is, I'd be interested

8. casey

casey Guest

I've bought two 33" Troy-bilts for gates and both were disasters. The first I traded in after 3 months for a LB comm, belt problems, handle broke, engine sputtered. Two years later I decided to give them another try, thought mabe they had fixed the problems. BURNED AGAIN. They are not commercial built machines, are horrible in tall grass, do not bag well. I traded for a LB comm. Never again.

9. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

That was an expensive lesson. Ouch.

10. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

I'll email you.