Swisher won't engage the starter

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Senrab, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Senrab

Senrab LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Hi,
    I've put a new battery (old one was shot), solenoid and ignition switch. I can't get the starter or solenoid to click or engage when I turn the key. If I jump the post on the solenoid it cranks but am lost now. I've checked the wiring and it matches the schematic in my book.
    What causes the solenoid to engage ( a three wire ) ?
    The book doesn't show a hot wire to the switch and I don't have any extra wires that aren't hooked up. I have a wire that runs from the switch to the spade connection on the base of the solenoid.
    The ignition is a 5 spade switch with the kill (brown), green (solenoid), and a jumper that connects 2 spades.

I'm sure its something simple but I can't figure it out.

2. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

Swisher is a brand name. I have seen and repaired at least a dozen completely different types of equipment with the Swisher name. Still, I do not know what you you have.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well you have to have battery voltage to the spade on the back of the switch that is marked with a "B" ......it just hit me......You installed a new solenoid right ? Make sure you reinstalled the smaller wire on the battery side of the large solenoid post, That wire supplies the harness with battery voltage.

4. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

"The ignition is a 5 spade switch with the kill (brown), green (solenoid), and a jumper that connects 2 spades. "

Where is 12v getting to this switch?