Swisher ZTR's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pfettig, Apr 24, 2008.

1. pfettig

pfettig LawnSite Member

Hi, this is my first posting, so be gentle.
    I am getting a new ZTR for home use and perhaps a couple of small accounts. I am thinking about getting a Swisher because it seems like they have some commerical features but for the same price as the residential. They even have a 1-year commercial warranty. They also have fabricated decks and commercial transmissions (for whatever that's worth). I can get a 54", 24 hp (Briggs ELS) for $2750 this weekend from Northern Tool. Has anyone had any experience with these? They seem much more substantial than the cheaper toros and cubs. I know Hustlers and Exmarks and the like are better, hey, I've got mouths to feed.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

they are BUNK. I had one in the shop the other day, the 17542 model. Absolute junk. The front caster forks weren't complete forks. They were "half" forks, if you can imagine it, where the steel only goes down one side, not both sides. They are built very very light. Buy a mower that you can get from an independent dealer who offers you parts and service support! It's worth it!