Swisher

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by larryinalabama, Mar 11, 2008.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Are Swisher products commerical grad and are they any good? Im lookingg at a Swisher brush mower at Northern tool.

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

No, they suck. The decks on the ZTRs are about as think as newspaper. There was one at the state fair here last year, was a demo unit with like 4 hours on it, and the deck was already falling apart. Great stuff there...

I'd probably look at a Billygoat brush mower...

3. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

90% of us that use real dealerships for our equipment are going to tell you NO. Not only because you will get no support from a box store but also because Swisher is a home owner brand that is trying to make it into "pseudo" commercial market by working with Shindaiwa in the C4 handheld world and I cannot remember who is making their bigger stuff.

Why not go to a dealer, look at their used stuff on their lots. Develop a relationship with them. Even if the gear is used, they will support it. You are obviously spending money so don't go down the road of "I don't have any money". If you are using credit, all the dealerships use credit too. It just does not pay off in the end to go to a big box store for your large equipment purchases and then try to get a local dealer to help you when it breaks. You become the guy at the back of the line when a paying, long standing customer comes in behind you.

Just my $.02

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I have been trying to find a used BillyGoat but no luck. A new one runs 3300

I do have a realitionship with my mower shop as 80% of my equiptment is commerical, however they dont service my excavator or tractor.

Im just trying to have as much equiptment as possible to spped up my work and it is not practicle to buy 100% commerical for stuff that will rearley be used.

Thanks for the info ont the decks a brush mower with a thin deck wont be any good so I will keep looking for a used billy goat

5. warren piece

warren piece LawnSite Member

Try rental companies in your area. They like to sell off used equipment.

6. KarambaStar

KarambaStar LawnSite Member

I have a friend that's been using a Swisher ZTR commercially for quite a few years now. I haven't heard that he's been unhappy with it.

7. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Before I even knew about swisher, I looked at them at (TSC) picked up the front of their biggest ZTR then, lifted the rear of it like a toy.
    Conclusion either, I'm the incredible hulk or it's cheaply made, next time I'm taking pics of the lift......

8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

He must not use it much at all then, what he mowing just a few small commercial places a week? I have looked at these mower at our local Rural King store and compared to my Toro's they look pretty week. From looking at them I don't think they would hold up to much abuse, they don't look like there built very well.

9. KarambaStar

KarambaStar LawnSite Member

He's not a big business, but his accounts keep him quite busy all summer. I think he's got 25-30 accounts.

10. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

The info about checking with rental companies it right on. You can normally get a used unit for a great deal. Keep in mind it is used but normally Rental companies like to turn their inventory every 2 to 3 years to keep their fleet looking new. The unit is rarely worn out but it doesn't look new.

Also, the cost of a brand new Billy Goat BC runs from $1959 to $2679. Let me know if there are any other questions I can help you with.