Switch and Go

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Team-Green L&L, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

We just purchased a Switch and Go truck from GMC that, in my opinion, is the best piece of equipment we've ever bought (other than a skid steerer that is).

Has anyone seen these in the field?

img117 lawnsite.jpg

img122 lawnsite.jpg

img123 lawnsite.jpg
  2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Check out etwman. He has mastered the effeciency of these systems and has a very nice looking operation.

Search for his Threads and look at his equipment and truck set-ups. Immpressive...
  3. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Looks good. My question is what made you go with that instead of a hooklift? Also why didn't you go with 4x4 on the GMC?
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

seen them in magazines and such, how fast can you switch out from one body to another? also, what bodies did you get for it?
  5. etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll enjoy it. The only thing I think I would have done differently with all our bodies was not get the flatbed body. It's nice, nothing wrong with it, but since we got the fold down mason dump body we basically have a flatbed. This body becomes two in one. For the price of a flatbed body & a standard mason dump body, you could have a mason body with fold down sides. We use this body a ton since we got it. Acutally if I had to do it again I'd have two mason dump bodies with fold down sides. Live and learn I suppose.

Jazak - don't take this wrong but 4 wheel drive is a little over-rated at times. Now I don't want to open up a huge can of worms here on this post, but we've had our freightliners for 3 years now and have never had them stuck. You just use a little commonsense on where you go with them. With the switch-n-go you could always winch yourself back out if you really got yourself in a pinch. I'm not saying that you shouldn't have a four wheel drive in your fleet somewhere but I don't think every truck needs to be one. It's one more thing to go wrong.

Enjoy it Team Green, the possibilities are endless.
  6. Team-Green L&L

We paid $50,000 for the truck with both the bodies. They had a Topkick 5500 with the Contractors Dump, but no switch and go. I haven't the patience or resources to have the truck machined like you had. Do you think that I made a good decision based on the usage we'll get from it. We have been doing medium-size landscape projects for 6 years now and were just ICPI certified this year. I'm assuming that our needs will increase due to an increase of paver revenue now. Please ease my mind on such a large purchase.
  7. Team-Green L&L

The switch out takes about 5 minutes with an experienced driver. We got the flatbed and the container bed with ours.
  8. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

is the cab and chasis new or used?

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

watch the cable dont let it get kinked up it will break
    good luck with it and make some money
  10. etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

No, you'll be fine. Good purchase, you'll enjoy it. Just make sure you're on level ground when taking a body on and off. With heavy loads, take the parking brake off and let the truck walk under the bodies when loading them, this way its not as hard on the winch. 50k is a little on the high side, but it'll pay for itself, it'll just take a little longer is all.

Let me know how you like it down the road. Get ready to need more bodies, it'll happen.