Lawn Care Forum banner

Switch-n-Go project update

33K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  lags82 
#1 ·
We received shipment of the 12' Switch-n-Go hoist last week. We removed the body take came with the chassis (see S-n-G project truck post) and set up the chassis for the new hoist frame. The kit is a very easy install. We welded the six supplied tabs to the hoist frame and bolted them to the chassis as instructed. I purchased the bumper assembly from the S-n-G dealer and welded that to the end of the frame rails. We fabricated mounts for the fenders and mud flaps. I decided to purchase two Weatherguard under mount tool boxes ($900 ):dizzy: for tarp, chain and hold down storage.

The power and control connections are very simple. The control box for the hoist and winch can be operated from the cab of from the ground via a remote outlet jack.

At this point I'm into the truck for $27,000 . When I pickup the first 15yd can next week we'll be at 30G's.

I think the whole idea will work well for us since most of our work is on confined sites and the truck will easily pull my trailer and mini-excavator or skidsteer.

Beside the fact that my dump trailer is a pain in the A$$ and I hate dumpster rentals

Tom T

Wheel Vehicle Tire Sky Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

See less See more
#7 ·
That looks really good! I wish I could weld good enough to do something like that. Is that a 12' system? Whats the CA ratio on that truck? Do you mind sharing what the s&g system cost without the body?
The CA ratio is 108" and yes ..........it's the 12' hoist. The 12' S-n-G unit and bumper cost $10,300 delivered to my site.

#10 ·
Thanks for sharing.The reason I asked those questions is because,3 months ago,I was getting quotes to put a 12' system on a 108 CA. Prices were all around 14k and included a body. Good luck with your truck.
if that included the bumper and medium duty can.........thats a fair deal.

I was getting quotes of 16,000.........which is why I made the choice to install it. I could buy another can for the install fee.

#12 ·
looks like an awesome truck you got whats the gvw?...is there any major advantages between a hooklift and roll off?
19,500# GVW The Switch-n-Go hoist system is much less expensive and lighter in weight than a hook lift unit.

The downside is that the S-n-G is slower at swaping bodies than a hooklift.

#13 ·
You have double the lifting power with the switch and go over the hooklift. A hooklift doesn't have the dumping power and it doesn't have the pulling power.

Hooklifts are heavy you have all that extra weight of a swing arm etc.

The switch and go is light but strong that doesn't eat up the payload.

It may take longer to swap out bodies who cares you want the power when your pulling on a bin that will make the front tires bounce off the ground.

When I ran conventional hoist tandem axle the front end would bounce up and down when pulling on a heavy can.

I have watched a local guy with a 9000lb capacity hooklift on a F-450 the thing was sucking wind pulling on a box with 5000lbs in it.

Your cab over will easily carry the weight it is stopping the weight is the problem. You will probably want to put the best brake pads possible to maximize the smaller brakes.

#14 ·
You have double the lifting power with the switch and go over the hooklift. A hooklift doesn't have the dumping power and it doesn't have the pulling power.

It may take longer to swap out bodies who cares you want the power when your pulling on a bin that will make the front tires bounce off the ground.

When I ran conventional hoist tandem axle the front end would bounce up and down when pulling on a heavy can.

I have watched a local guy with a 9000lb capacity hooklift on a F-450 the thing was sucking wind pulling on a box with 5000lbs in it.

Your cab over will easily carry the weight it is stopping the weight is the problem. You will probably want to put the best brake pads possible to maximize the smaller brakes.
Agreed! Lucky enough this truck is equipped with air/hydraulic service brakes and and a Jake Brake :weightlifter: :)

#15 ·

that was a pretty good explanation for me

#16 ·
I have drove conventional rolloff hoists I know what they can do. I have had the reeving cable snap before the hoist powered out. With a hooklift you need a larger hoist for the load you want to pull on. Larger hooklift more weight less payload. The only benefit I see a hooklift for is tight confined spaces where you can't lift rails all the way up.

If you get a heavy bin and put a snatch block on the switch and go you would probably rip the hook off the bin :laugh:

The only thing you have to watch with a conventional rail hoist is pulling the bin on straight. I have had bins with bent long sills so they didn't want to pull up the rails properly. If your not watching the bins long sills can hop over the hoist rails and your in trouble. I had bins where the side has blown out pulling the bin on and looking in the mirror and something is wobbling on the side the bin side has pretty well broke away from the bin floor.

Lots of fun :cool2:

#18 ·
The way the hooklifts lift cylinders are they really don't have the lifting power. It depends on what hooklift you get for dump angle a single pivot is horrible a double pivot is better but more weight.

#20 ·
Hope your not planning to fill that 14 yd can with dirt or gravel-nice truck nonetheless.
Not at 2,200 lbs per cubic yd.;)

If I need a large load of earth products I'll continue to to handle it the way I always have...........have it delivered :)

#24 ·
Had a 40 yard roll off deliver mulch and he drug it out because of dump angle. Almost like my dump trailer. Other day had wet soil that we ended up having to shovel out.:cry:
Exactly why I chose the switch-n go. The lift hoist has a 50 degree dump angle. This was always intended to be my all purpose material handler....not just a roll-off container truck.

#26 ·
The version I have is electric/ hydraulic. No room for the hydraulic reservoir with both under mount tool boxes. It's been four years and I am happy.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.