1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Switch n Go Truck Bed

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Rupslawn, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Rupslawn

Rupslawn LawnSite Member

Is anyone using or thinking of using the Switch n Go Truck Bed by Bucks Fab? I see it heavily advertised in all the trade mags, so would like some feedback on its advantages/usefulness. I was thinking of a retrofit, but the shipping to Honolulu just kills!

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

You can do more by using a roll off body similar to what the garbage trucks are using. They will lift more and are easier to service. Plus, they are a more standardized system that has been doing duty for over 50 years, not a new concept hoping to take off. The cost of a 15' roll off body and 4 containers is $20,000 installed on a Mack truck. Other trucks would probably be a little more, because the Macks come with all the PTO and auxillary hydraulic and air lines fit from the factory.
  3. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

It will take you forever to make your money back on those small systems. If you are going spend serious cash build a hooklift on at least a 26000 # gvw international,ford or isuzu. SMALL TRUCKS DON'T MAKE ENOUGH MONEY!
  4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

There are two types of roll off systems which is conventional straight rails which are the cheapest to manufacture. Then there is Hooklift systems built by a few companies all use the same principle of a hydraulic powered arm with a hook on the end that pulls the can over a set of rear rollers.

I work with trucks with conventional rails (tandem axle truck 40 yard bins) they work fine they do take some practice pulling the bin on.

I never tried a hooklift there is only one disposal company that has a hooklift its on a 1.5 ton Ford the other disposal companies use conventional rail systems on tandem axle trucks. A hooklift system for a tandem axle costs alot more than conventional rails so its one of the reasons why you don't see many big hooklifts being used.

I really don't know what the advantages are using hooklift over conventional rails the only benefit I see is you don't have to leave the cab with a hooklift equiped truck.

I thought about building a 1.5 ton rolloff truck but there isn't enough work to justify it. A 1.5 ton with a dump bed is cheaper to build and makes the same amount of money.

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

The hooklifts have made some strides in recent years, but the biggest problem I have had with them is that the geometry in which they are designed will not allow them to lift what a reeving hoist roll off will. Sure there is the arguement of the truck being overloaded and all, but, with a reeving hoist, you open the back gate, spill off a bit, and go. Much easier than trying to dig out an overloaded hook lift box.
  6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Hey I didn't know that thanks for the info I have been looking for a used hooklift or build my own conventional rails with a telescoping post hoist and a winch. I can see where a hook lift would have problems dumping a load the way the tilt cylinder is positioned.