1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Switched to a P.O. Box

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by fga, Feb 15, 2006.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i switched to a P.O. box this year. for 7 years now, i've had business papers, mail, checks, mailed to my house. i'll be moving shortly though, hpefully, so i went with a P.O. Box so everything stays the same with the cstomers.

any pro or cons to this? i hate to have to there everyother day or so, but i didn't havea choice.
  2. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't see a problem with using a P.O. Box.
  3. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

I have had a PO box for three years now. The only problem is you have to find time to pick up the mail before they close.
  4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I've had a PO Box since I started. Wouldn't have it any other way. I definitely don't want people dropping by my house to talk business.
  5. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i have had a few strange occasions. most of the time, its just someone dropping off a check. good to get money, but if your not dressed, you have to throw on something, etc.
    had this one lady once open my front door and leave a check on the floor in an envelope.

i hate the idea of having to go get my mail, but i feel it will be worthit inthe end. the lobby for the P.O. boxes is open 24/7. even when the office withthe teller windows closes.

have you guys ever had mail put in the wrong slot? like did you have a check put in the PO box next door by accident? i know my mailman personally, and he would correct it himself while delivering to my house... that's a concern i have.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Best thing you could have done Adam. I've had one since day one with my business.
  7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I went to a PO Box last summer before we moved. We did live near a small town 12 miles form the town I work in so people would see the out of town address and ask " but do you work in Columbus?" Our new home is closer but also has a different towns address. The PO Box I think ties mo to the town I work in better. Also I can pick up checks and get them to the bank the same day instead of the next. The post office is only a few blocks from the bank so that helps to.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I assume so...because I get mail for other boxes in my box. My box# is 331, so I get mail for 133, 313, 311, etc. It's never been a real problem though, only rarely does someone claim to have mailed a payment and I havent gotten it. I just stick any wrong mail back into the slot for the local mail.
  9. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

During the peak busy season just go to the post office and tell them you are going out of town for 3 months and ask them to forward the mail to this address (your home address). Still have the benefit of PO. Box but being sent to your house.
  10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

my home and shop is too close to the post office so they wont deliver mail here so we have no choice but ot have one.... doesnt seem to be a problem, but along with my po box on all material appears my street address also