Switched weed wackers to stihl now breaking windows

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HHlandscaping, Oct 2, 2013.

1. HHlandscaping

HHlandscaping LawnSite Member

So one of my close friends invested in a stihl dealership this summer so I am

switched over to a fs 90 and fs 70 from echo's srm 230's ,

Now I have 3 broken windows within the last 2 months... I think my guys cant

handle the power of them or are just gunning the trigger when edging close to

Thoughts ?????
  2. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I've never used anything but the FS series and in fifteen years have never broken a window. Not one. I'd tell the guys now that the next guy that does it is on the hook for half the cost. There's simply no excuse.

Unless they're mowing nothing but gravel lots I can't imagine how that's possible.
  3. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

It the operator not the trimmer
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

they have more torque. that's what does it. gotta go easy around glass and trim the right direction! they throw to the left or forward sometimes so face the right way. windows to your right. good luck getting help to comprehend that one. Its probably cheaper to replace the windows then their labor while trying to master that.
  5. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I've been doing with for 6 years and I have never broke a window and I use the fs90r and shindy's t242.
  6. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Might seem silly... But what kind of trimmer line? I ask because it seems like square is "the fungo bat of trimmer line". (Wish I knew who to credit for that quote).
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, same here. I use that quote a lot and know not whom to credit. Square line is tough...and extra painful w/o a guard.
  8. austins35

austins35 LawnSite Member

Bingo Jingo operator error your guys aren't paying attention next have them pay for it bet they don't break another

trimming to close to pebbles and small rocks seems elementary

9. cimkill

cimkill LawnSite Senior Member

Operator for sure we have 4 fs250's and no broken windows here just ease down on trigger around windows and your good to go.
  10. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

As you know, sometimes you have a choice as to which way the debris goes. If possible situate yourself so that the trimmer is slinging the debris away from things that can be damaged by it.

I know this is as simple as it gets, but sometimes people are in too big of a hurry and don't slow down and think about even the simplest of things.