Switcher Device

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ed2hess, Jun 23, 2006.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I have two valves next to each other and one has lost continuity back to the controller on the non gnd wire. Isn't there a switcher device that these two valves can be hooked to at the valve end? Then when the unit runs it would run one valve and the next time it would run the other valve. I am trying to avoid using the 521 to find break since this valve is a long way across a lot of pavement. I could use a battery powered valve but that takes time to install. Since the controller has three programs I could run these two valves off B and run it every day that way the two areas would get water every other day... Does any of this make sense.

2. Google "doubler irrigation"....

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Amazing device.....but is $129 sound like the correct price? Wouldn't the rainbird easy rain battery control device at around same price be a better choice? I have rainbird valves.

4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

R Co. Parts makes a unit called an Add-a-Zone that would do what you want and then some. The price is about the same though. With an add-a-zone, you use the good station wire and install a filter in the controller to the two zones you need that wire to operate. Then in the valve box, you wire the common and field wire to the main part of the add-a-zone. The add-a-zone then has two common and two field wires (that are labeled zone 1 and zone 2) that you wire to your valves. I have used the add-a-zone to run a local valve (box the device is in) and another valve over 100 feet away. I'm not sure what the specs say it can actually do or what they will stand behind it being capable of. The add-a-zone can even be used to run a MV. It will provide current to either or both wires depending on what frequency the filter in the clock generates (or something similar to that). It is a great device for special situations.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It is a hundred-buck problem, no matter how you solve it. I'd try to find the wiring fault. I see one can still purchase the special latching relay that the original Doubler was built with, but that's at least thirty bucks, and it needs a sealed container.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The add a zone sounds a lot like the doubler? Am I corrrect in that it sounds like the add a zone would be used if the two boxes that you need to operate are far apart? I don't guess you can use the doubler in that situation? In my case the two valve boxes are right together so I guess I will put the dubbler in one valve box to run the two valves.

Thanks for the help!!

7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Doubler = garbage. :)

If the main will carry two zones operating at one time then just wire the valves together as one zone as long as they are compatible sprinklers. :confused:

8. NO NO NO...not garbage.....

One drip valve one grass valve.....doubler works just great.

It is a tool for situations that dictate its' use....that is all, but it is not garbage.

I have heard that type of talk from most school guys and govment guys and all the rest of the irrigation techs that get paid by the hour by a large company....WIRE IT TOGETHER...sheesh.

Fix the GD thing if you can!!!!

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I must agree, the Doubler has it's uses. I've installed 4-5 of them, but it's been a few years. All were commercial projects, and we either had to split a stretched zone, or due to cut in the wires and no way to run new wire to the valve. They work fine if you know what you're doing and how to set up the timer accordingly.

For those of us on tight schedules, installing a doubler may cost more than running new wires, but the downtime of installing the wires kills us. If we are booked for 2 weeks solid with 2-10 homes a day, and taking 4-6 hours to run new wires as opposed to one hour of installing a Doubler, what do you think I will choose to do?

10. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Gotta disagree. Have installed a number of them over the last many years and they are still performing as they should. Beats the hell out of running a wire several 100's of feet under asphalt because some chucklehead didn't have enough sense to pull extra wires and install sleeves on parking lot expansions.

The only real problem is maintenance guys that try to run the system and don't read the little sticker that tells them there is a doubler installed. I do like making the service call to tell them again that they have a doubler and this is how it works.