1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Switching from Merit to Dylox tomorrow

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Aug 21, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Anybody else switching now?

Local LESCO guys said they are recommending this as well. (yesterday, I.S.U. head entomologist said he has received no reports of grubworm activity in the state yet, but LESCO said a couple of lawn companies have seen damage...I have not)

rscvp Thanks much! :usflag:
  2. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Two modes of action. Merit has a long residual, but it might not kill grubs for several weeks. Dylox kills 'em fast, but not much residual. This is typically the time of year when we switch over. Seems to work out fine.
  4. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

The real question is why wait so long to put Merit down? It has excellent residual and lasts all year if put down in late May or June. Putting it out late is like running your gas tank down to "E" before filling up - you know you'll need it, why wait?

Now look at the economics - Bayer had a huge rebate on merit on fert this year if bought before the end of May. If you bought it then, why wait until now to put it out and get paid? If you bought late, you missed the rebate entirely and you're applying needlessly late in the season. Merit isn't like Dimension - it does last all year so you may as well get it out early and get paid.

As for Dylox, it works pretty well but that's definitely closing the barn door after the horse is gone. We treat a lot of SF and only use a few bags of Dylox every year. Reason is we have all our customers on Merit to prevent grub issues to begin with.
  5. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

i always thought dylox collected to much moisture and was hard to spread, even with light winds
  6. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have to make many apps. for your situation and don't have the irrigation or rainfall very shortly after the app. or windy, you have the option also of Mach II for the small grubs. This is easier on the earthworms too.

Pete D.
  7. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry dude, but you're info is wrong. You may have had success in the past....chances are you just been lucky.

Merit does not last all year .....please share where you got this info
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I believe he means it lasts all year long over the two seasons - when applied at the right times. Actually, it is the results that last all year long,...not the product. If all the grubs are held at bay through their hatching and early feeding period in late summer/ early fall, then there are none to feed through spring because they have all died in the previous season. The only exception to this would of course be the 2 and 3 year grubs that are adult sized.
    Here, there are still a few that are using Merit, and I have used it this late with success...as long as the new hatched grubs don't grow too large for it to work. But I believe most everyone is making the switch at this time.
  9. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

Agree here. Does anyone know if dylox wipes out micorbial activity in soil? I have to assume it puts a hurt on.
  10. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

The 1/2 life of Merit is 90-100 days. Joe is right, it is the results that last, not the product. Grubs aren't like weeds, they don't float in from surrounding properties. You may have pressure from next door, but only a short distance onto the property line. If you apply it say, June 1st, the Merit will be active in the soil for 90-100 days and control the grubs at or near egg hatch. The next time there'll be grub pressure is the following summer, at egg hatch, so yes, it provides year long grub control in that way.