switching kubota to amsoil synthetic

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by grass disaster, Nov 27, 2006.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

what do you think about switching the hydrolics over to synthetic Amsoil

including the gear boxes for wheels

i already have switched the oil over. zero turn

2. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

I was talking to my former boss the other day, he owns a golf course. He told me that the mechanic for the toro dealer said he will never use synthetic oil and tells people not to use it because it doesnt lubricate seals and O-rings and they dry out then fail. He has seen to many problems with it, but I dont know enough about it to say one way or another

3. Jay74

Jay74 LawnSite Member

crzymow -- That is total BS!

Jason

4. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

would amsoil have a negative affect on anything?????

5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

your seals will be lubed no matter what oil you use. That's crazy talk. I use Amsoil in everything I have that doesn't burn oil. Meaning - don't put expensive oil in an old leaky truck you use 6 times a year. I run Amsoil transmission fluid,engine oil and 2 stroke oil since the mid 70's.

6. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

I have run it in all our small and large engines for over 20 years. It's the only oil we want.

We only change oil in our 5hp Honda's once per season [winter] and have engines that are in excess of 7 years old that run about 4-6 hours per day all summer long.

When low just add a bit more.

My only mistake is I put amsoil in a 57 chev and these old engines just don't have the tolerances for it. I got about 100 yards before the oil entered the cylinder and fouled out the spark plug.

In retrospect, I already knew I could not do that. [brain f@#$]

7. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

Geez guys relax, Im just telling what I heard from a mechanic with toro. As far as I'm concerned you can put whatever you want in your mowers.

8. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I wasn't getting on you crzymow. I was talking about your former boss was talking crazy. I knew you were passing along info you had heard. No problem. As far as Amsoil it's as good as it gets...