switching majors..

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Junior M, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I'd go sell iron but the dealers here usually require a 4 year degree and 3-4 years experience in rental or similar before they'd even talk to you. Selling equipment would be a dream job for me but not much of a reality.

2. Cummins343

Cummins343 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Kansas

Junior! Stick with Firefighting! or join the Army and be a combat engineer!

3. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

thats definitely a no.. Firefighting is fun and I enjoy doing it.. But doing it for a living would remove the fun of it. I love dirt work and equipment..

4. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Junior, I was thinking the same thing as Cummins343. Firefighting would give you a steady income and cover your all of your health insurance, plus give you a nice pension. You could still do dirtwork on your days off, picking and choosing what jobs you want. You wouldn't have to rely on it like most of us when things get slow. Plus, firefighting would be a great career by itself and a nice change of pace, and it sounds like you probably have some contacts since you've volunteered. Best of both worlds IMO.

5. Cummins343

Cummins343 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Kansas

Oh I know brother man. But ya gotta look at the future. Firefighting will always be a "in demand" job. It is not seasonal, it is 24/7, 365. Fire Depts. can't go bankrupt, like a construction company could. You could easily start your own company, or work for someonelse on your off days! :):weightlifter: double income!:weightlifter:

6. Junior M

I'll keep volunteering.. It just wouldnt be fun anymore if I did it every single day.

7. Junior M

I am still up in the air on what to do.. I am just trying to find a job, but nobody around here is hiring..

8. Junior M

So I landed a job with an awesome garden center about 4 miles from the house..

I dont really work around the yard/shop with the plants, I mostly go out with one other guy, plant trees, spread some mulch.. Mostly planting trees in existing yards and leaving, not a whole lot of work.

But its about the most reputable company around here, nice equipment, awesome work quality.. I love it.. Especially since day 1 I was given a 2011 3500 Dodge CCLB 4wd fully loaded as my work truck.

9. noahb195

noahb195 LawnSite Senior Member

i wanna see this truck

10. Junior M

Its the exact same truck Krazy Kajun has.. same color, everything..

We've got another one that is black and is a laramie(it has every option possible, where mine is just an SLT) but the black one has started acting up lately, I swear its the tranny, but the bossman says its a fuel filter, but it idles fine and seems to run fine.. Just wont pull off very well..