switching to 5 day cutting. NEED ADVICE

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trevors Lawn Care, May 25, 2004.

1. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I just finished a letter stating that we are switching from a 7 day to 5 day schedule.

SHOULD I MAIL THESE LETTERS and spend $20 bucks in postage, or hand deliver them to the 45 houses? (very close together...Minimal gas cost..maybe $1.50)

in it, it states that unless other arangements are made we are cutting every five days. If i hand delivered them, couldnt a customer say they didnt get them? BUT..then also in the contract it says "i have read and agree to all the terms listed on this contract, and agree to pay for any services done to this property"

If i spend the $20 bucks in postage and say only 10 customers let me, it will throw off my whole route, and cause for a very hectic time for me.

Also, unstated but if the customers start whining about paying for every five days i am just gonna offer them a couple bucks off each cut, and i will still come out ahead, but i didnt want to write it in there, because i know some will not care if i cut every 5, but others will cry about paying.

I would post the letter on here but i dont know how to post on this site.

trevor

2. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I would spend the $20 Trevor and send them through the mail. Put in there to have them call immediately upon receipt to discuss the new schedule. Just my 2 cents.

3. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

why are you going to a 5 day schedule? i would envision many complaints. grass growin that fast up there?

4. Trevors Lawn Care

haha! YES... my weeklys (non-fert) lawns are growing about 4 inches a week. Fert lawns are just ridiculous...about 6-8inches.

Scroll down and look at my post of "10 day schedule"

9 of 10 days calls for rain!

trevor

5. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

wow. oh well that is more money for you!

6. Trevors Lawn Care

if they go for it. I've got some cheap customers. Oh well. If they will not go with a 5 day, i will tell them that i will not double cut and their lawns will look like crap

trevor

7. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

I would suggest that in the future if you are doing a contract (I don't for residentials and haven't regretted it for 11 years now), you take out any references to a set mowing schedule and just put "mowing as needed". Will save you alot of aggravation. Just be smart enough not to screw them by cutting during no-growth periods and you will get by cutting extra during heavy growth.

8. Trevors Lawn Care

Thats one thing i would screw myself in though. When it doesnt need to be cut...Majority of summer...I would probably lose money

trevor

9. Trevors Lawn Care

also, cutting as needed. Some people could let it get to three feet and say it didnt need to be cut until that height.

trevor

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would need another 2 or 3 man crew to go to a 5 day schedule...would be nice though...good luck with it.