switching to a new brand

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yergus, Apr 16, 2003.

1. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

since 1996 i have used only lesco mowers. and although they are good mowers, parts constantly become loose or fall off.
    plus you have to grease eleven fitting everyday. i have heard of the sealed bearing on the spindles of other mowers, but know very little about their performance and durability.
    i want to hear from people using different brands on what to check out and what to stay away from.
    i saw a gravely the other week and it kinda impressed me, but i had several people tell me to keep looking. any gravely owners please respond. but they never owned one to begin with, so tell only what you know about what you own please.
  2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I use Toro. The machines do have sealed spindle bearings, which I was not sure that I wanted. The spindles do come with a 3 year warrenty, so I decided that would work. I have used the new machine, a 36" wb, only on 10 lawns this year, but I have hade no problems.
  3. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

I agree with ffshuter. My 3 Toros have been "bullet proof". When I do need parts that the dealer doesn't have in stock, I usually have them within 2 days. I have ran Toro for 4 years now with no major problems.
  4. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

As far as walk behind's go I'm a Scag man. I have two and both have been great.
  5. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

I have been using toros for two years now and they are good machines but they do have problems here and there but I guess thats life as much as I use them. I am looking at getting a exmark sometime this summer just go test drive the mowers and pick the one you like.
  6. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

test driving one does not tell the whole story, i need people who swear by their mowers. very few dealer have demo models, and without using them for a long period of time, there is no way to tell which will hold up, which take longer to get in parts, and which one is more worth the money. so please give more imput out there please.
  7. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

check out scag, exmark, and hustler if possible.

i run all scag and prefer the kawi motors over antything else, esp. on walk behinds.

i just sold a '98 48" 14hp kaw walk behind with over 4000 hours on it and it doesnt burn a drop and cuts like day 1.
  8. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

Here's what I can tell you about Toro mowers:

(1) Large dealer base
    (2) Very competetive prices on parts
    (3) Units are built "service friendly"
    (4) BEST quality of cut on the market
    (5) Simply the best lawn mowing piece of equipment on the market with the best after market support. Go look at what brand your local golf course uses - Toro
  9. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

exmark is owned by torro, correct? so why is it so hard to get parts for the exmark? this is what a dealer told me when i called to check on exmarks. he told me they stop selling exmark because of the difficulty in getting replacement parts
  10. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

There could be lots of reasons why a dealer has trouble with parts. Could be an odd ball part that is sold twice a year. Could be the dealer hadn't paid his bill with the supplier!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said before, if my dealer doesn't have the part I need in stock - he will have it FROM THE FACTORY in 2 working days. That is what you get from a company like Toro