switching to bermuda

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by fastcat, Jun 15, 2008.

1. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

i am in the process of turning half of my fescue yard into bermuda. the way these past couple years have been around here with the weather,fescue just cant handle it any more. i have never done the bermuda thing before so if there is any advice anone could give i would appreciate it.

the process i am using is:
    kill off fescue (or whats left of it anyway)
    mow as short as i can and bag it
    run over area with a disc and 4-wheeler to loosen up top layer of soil
    throw out bermuda seed with my broadcast spreader
    throw out about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of sand on top of the seed to act as a top dress and slit seeding effect.
    and water every day until it get going

tell me if there is a better way to do it. i have tried renting a slit seeder from sun belt before and that thing was a waste of time. so this is the best i can come up with.

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I usually do very similar to what you're planning to do. I run the tractor and landscape rake over it instead of a disc and also, instead of applying sand, I rake it one more time after overseeding to get the seed turned up into the soil.

You may want to use some sand mixed with the seed to get it evenly dispersed. I actually mix my seed with some 18-24-12 or 18-12-10 and it works just as well.

Either way, you should do fine but you better do it quick. I never seed bermuda after mid-July. Also, don't use any slow-release fertilizer after mid-July as well. That way come October,the fertilizer will be pretty much gone and the new bermuda will be ready for frost.

3. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

Fastcat.

Your area and mine were rezoned by the National Arbor Society from zone 7 to zone 8 last year. I hate to see fescue grass leave the area, but I think its time may come.

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Bermuda seed is 21 day germination. Stolens work faster if you can find them.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

When it is really hot it needs to be watered almost every few hours to keep it damp. Now if you use some of that hydro mulch stuff it would probably be okay with daily watering.

6. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

yeap, i talked to a guy at lesco and he said that they have been selling alot of bermuda seed lately. i would do sod but i dont want to through out that kind of money with a baby on the way.

7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

If it's your own yard, I'd prefer seed anyway. Yes, it takes a little time but to me, Savannah or even common bermudagrass when mature is far prettier than hybrid stuff.

Just my opinion. :)

8. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

i never had to put anything on bermuda except water.out here we have to keep it moist and it germinates in 30 days.

9. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

bermuda sod is a waste of money.bermuda grows like a weed,you will have to keep it out of the places you don't want it once it becomes stable.

10. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

And I've been trying to kill commom bermuda for years. Now I need to research all the different varieties. So..what other warm climate grasses are available?