1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Switching to electric

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sweet Tater, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

Friday I was doing some shrubs that stand about 5 -8 ft high. I go so sick from the exhaust blowing in my face that I had to quit and finish on Sat. As much as I really don't want to lug around 100 ft of extension cords I can't afford carbon monoxide poisoning either.
    Is there a good electric hedge trimmer that will hold up to commercial use or even one deamed commercial?
  2. New Heights

New Heights LawnSite Member

I use little wonder eletric hedge shears for years and love them. Never had any problems to complain about. I was also looking at sthils website and they now cary a nice line-up of eletric hedge shears.
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Make sure the comm electrics are not to heavy. I have cut allot of cords when i had to use the L/W with two hands. I like the better home owner models that use use one hand on it and the other on the cord.When the better home owner model goes, you just go get another one.
  4. Yater

Yater LawnSite Senior Member

I used a pos black & decker for a couple of years and just got a kawasaki 600s? this year. The gas clippers will make short work of anything below chest level but they get heavy if I'm trimming for more than 20min or so. I just hate asking customers to use the electrical outlets...but if I can find one outside, I'll plug in....especially if I have to use a ladder to get to the bushes.
  5. J&J Customs

J&J Customs LawnSite Member

little wonder
  6. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe you should get an electric string trimmer, and edger also. And never drive in heavy traffic, maybe drive an electric car. We wouldn't want you to smell any exhaust fumes.
  7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

That is funny. But to 'Taters defense, It does suck having exhaust blown in your face from 2 stroke hedge trimmers.
    Hey Tater, have you thought about getting extended hedge trimmers, that way you don't have to have the exhaust pointed at your face. Easier and faster too on those taller hedges.
  8. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I have considered it. Got to do some shopping and thinking about it now.
    Dually..... I am not even going to comment on such an idiotic comment.
  9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You should see what black & decker has to sting trim with.its the future.
  10. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member