swivel casters on deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kaufmaninc, Jan 25, 2003.

1. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

I was looking at Exmark last week & saw a front deck Woods that had swivel casters on the front edges of the deck. That sure made alot of sense to me. There has got to be some damage from the stationary wheels? What da think?

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I think that the Ferris mowers have them too. Sounds like a good idea!

3. Ricks Z28

Ricks Z28 LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I was at a meeting last week at eXmark and the subject of caster wheels was brought up by other lawn care companies that where there as well. I don't know if eXmark will do anything about it but I think that it's a great idea.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

kaufmaninc wrote:

I was looking at Exmark last week & saw a front deck Woods that had swivel casters on the front edges of the deck.

The Woods belly mount ZTRs were made by Gravely. Gravely has discontinued the use of swivel mount casters in favor of a regular roller type antiscalp wheel. I have seen the damage those casters can do when they fall off and get under the mower deck. They are also expensive to replace and maintain compared to a roller.

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Fall off?!!! :p The Chevy/GMC truck commercial quote "We are Professional Grade" comes to mind! ROFL!!! Thats too good. I know stuff like this happens but I'm not entirely sure I understand how. Well i still got a bang outta it.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It's been a few years since I saw it happen but the clip holding the caster on came off and the caster went under the deck on the the left side. As it made it's way to the discharge chute it chewed up all three carburundum (sp) tipped blades (20 bucks a piece) and then proceded though a sliding glass door.

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Richard, beat me to the punch. I have had a caster wheel come off my deck and it was not a pretty sight. I was not happy to say the least.

Gravely_Man

8. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess if you can't design it right, then you should leave them off. The ferris ones are fine! I actually have to jack mower up to remove these.

Mark