swollen gas containers...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stephen424, Jun 15, 2010.

1. stephen424

stephen424 LawnSite Senior Member

i keep 2 plastic gas containers on my open trailer and they have been swellling up like balloons that last week or so (it's been 95+ here).
    any solution?
    i release the pressure out of them after every mow, in fear that they are going to explode

should i invest in tin cans?

2. lawnboy852

lawnboy852 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Poke a pinhole in the bottom of the top handle part. Or install a relief valve. These gas cans are a mess now with no vent hole, they dont seem safer a all, but the pinhole trick should do it without causing any noticeable spillage

3. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

its just from the heat. try to keep them in the shade.

4. fredmullegun

fredmullegun LawnSite Senior Member

The heat increases the vapor pressure.

5. ZTR_Diesel

ZTR_Diesel LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly why I can't stand these new CARB (California Air Resources Board) certified fuel cans! Leave thier issues & policial agendas for California! Sorry to anyone who lives there.

Why have they had to mess with so many well-proven things? Maybe we ought to just all sue CARB itself. ...This is sarcasim...

6. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah, its from the heat, either leave the cap off or poke a hole in the rear of the can, it will also pour better with this hole too, But Im curious, if you left a can like this and let it swell up, would it eventually explode?

7. rain man

rain man LawnSite Silver Member

We cut slits in the cap so that it doesn't seal as tightly. Sort of like the first cut when you are cutting a piece of pie. Keeps water out but gives it room to breath.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't carry straight fuel out with me, no need.

9. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

Just take the caps off and put like duck tape over it so heat can get out.

And not to be an a$$ but it's expansion not swelling. Or you could drill a small hole in the back of the can. Or just fill your mowers up before you go out, then you don't need cans.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. FiveOJoe

FiveOJoe LawnSite Member
    from NJ

When you vent the tank, collapse it a little with your knee to push out some vapor and release the vent, (not so much that gas overflows). Then when it warms up it expands to normal size.