synthetic 0w40 / good or bad

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by rlmano, Jul 6, 2006.

1. rlmano

rlmano LawnSite Member

came across Amsoil 0w40 for 4 stroke engines. planning to change oil in my MINI Z 36. is this oil okay to use, or should i just stick with regular motor oil like Mobile 1 10w30?
    "oil filter". what brand of oil filter considered good to use? this is the first oil change on this machine.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am not familiar with Amsoil, so I cant really comment on it.
    I know our guys in service like the Mobil 1 synthetics.

Pj

3. FOURTEEN

FOURTEEN LawnSite Member

Amsoil is excellent, particularlly for hard working air-cooled engines and hydros! The Amsoil website has test results showing that Amsoil is superior to other 'synthetics'!

:cool2:

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Would their website say anything else?
    I am sure others websites say theirs are the best.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

They have above average products as a whole. Most are excellent. I just feel funny about the whole pyramid marketing approach. They'd do much better if you could just buy it at an auto parts store.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I feel the same exact way.
    I use their 2 stroke products and gear oils in my sleds and 1 of my quads, I don't have any problem with the quality, I just cant stand getting hounded by every "distributor" on the internet and at shows and such.

7. FOURTEEN

FOURTEEN LawnSite Member

In the case of Amsoil, they have the numbers to back up their claims! The "A Study of Motorcycle Specific Oils" ( http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf ), for example, on page 26, provides an affidavit attesting to the test methods used and the validity of the results. I believe that both Amsoil and Hustler sell excellent products, and I have no reason to doubt the information found on either's website!

I don't get involved with pyramids, circles, or any other shapes, I just buy my Amsoil from an online guy that provides what I need at a fair price!! My concern is not with Amsoil marketing, but with the Amsoil products, which are apparently superior!!

:dizzy:

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Of course they do.
    As I am sure all the other mfg's of synthetic oils do.
    I use Amsoil products also, I am just saying that there are other options just as good if not better in some cases.

9. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member