Synthetic 2 cycle oil mix ratio

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ed2hess, Jun 5, 2010.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am in the process of switching from Echo oil to Schaeffer 2-cycle synthetic oil. I read on lawnsite all the time that you can go to 80:1. Where is the source of this recommendation? Anybody know if trimmer technical people have agreed with this?

I am a little hesitant since I have been running 50:1 and the only problem is port and piston getting dirty. I am now into the 4-mix stuff and I don't want those valves getting dirty.

2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I think it depends on the oil. I have seen some syns that say 50:1 but my Amsoil Sabre recomends 100:1. I mix it at 80:1 though because the 8oz bottle will make 5 gallons of 80:1 mix [two 2.5 gallons for me]

3. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using Amsoil exclusively for about 7 years now on everything---saws,mowers,boats,and snowmobiles.
    My Amsoil dealer said even though he sells the stuff he would never go 100:1.He told me he mixes 80:1 for all he small hand held equipment.You can never go wrong with 50:1 on a quality oil.I usually mix at 40:1 with no problems.

4. Amsoil Saber in my hand held stuff and Amsoil small engine oil in my mower. I've never heard of Schaeffer.

5. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

What is the bottle say? Unless the bottle suggest leaner than 50:1, you really want to push it?

Do you mean 4Mix or C4? I know you have a bunch of T2510. Shindaiwa never suggess using full synthetic. You sure it matters? I am not sure C4 is that finicky about full synthetic or special gas.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

And just how long have you been reading my posts Ed?

I've had 2 Stihl dealers tell me it is fine and would not void the warranty. If in doubt ask your dealer. They are the ultimate judge as to whether they would warranty 80:1 or not.

7. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

Why not just go with Amsoil where a lot of people here use at 75:1 or 80:1 with very good success? I order the quart size direct from Amsoil and it's not that expensive.

So many people swear by Amsoil, me included!!

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I don't recommend the use of this oil especially if your machines are still under warranty. Stihl can deny warranty based on the use of this oil alone. It is a TCW-3 oil. Stihl specifically says not to use TWC-3 oils in any of their engines.

It is also a parasynthetic which means it is a mix of regular oil and synthetic. Amsoil is a full synthetic.

9. dccarling

dccarling LawnSite Member

Amsoil in eveything and 100:1 in all my 2-strokes. Been using it since 1975. When it comes to 2-strokes film strength is the name of the game and Amsoil at 100:1 has twice the film strength as petroleum at 50:1. I'm sure that any of you who have used it knows how much cooler and stronger your chain saws, weed wackers, blowers and other equipment runs.

10. Lehighlawnpros

Lehighlawnpros LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Ed,
    I've been using the Amsoil Saber Professional oil at about 80:1 in all of my Kawasaki 2-cycle equipment for about two years now with no problems.