Synthetic better for new Scag?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sauls1686, Sep 12, 2003.

1. I just bought that Scag that i was talking about yesterday. I traded a toro 8HP rear engine rider that i picked up from my neighbour for $100 before he died. It was in beatufil shape so I got the Scag for $2,200.

(not a GREAT deal--but I think a decent one considering how much i had in the Toro--i imagine the dealer will sell it for $500+)

The scag was supposedly a demo. It has some paint chips, i noticed a ding in the belt shield, but otherwise you can tell it hasnt been used much, im guessing mb 10 hous. They said it was nv sold. (they are a reputable dealer)

Anyways it has the 15 Kawi on it, I want to change the oil and im wondering if it woudl be a smart move to go with synthetic.

I think on the dipstick it said 10-40. (i din get the owners manual yet, they are supposed to drop it off today)

--SAULS

21" Toro
    21" Toro
    Echo SRM-230
    Echo PB24LN
    ---------------------------

HEY, IT WORKS!

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Good luck with it.

As far as oil goes............Change it enough there will be no need for the more expensive synthetics. At least with changing you get to service or look over the whole machine.

3. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

If it is a demo, I assume that you still receive a warranty with the unit. If so use what the manual says or you'll possibly void the warranty on various components.
    Our Scag dealer pointed out that Scag does not use synethics. Scag tested synethics and found out that pump and motor temps ran about 250 degrees higher and shortened the life of these components.
    We have also found out that many manufactures that recommend synethics do not use oil coolers on their equipment. That is because synethics can withstand higher temps before thermal breakdown. In our opinion, it is much better to run non-synethics to keep temperatures down, especially in hydro systems.

4. Well i guess the ol scag will get reg pennzoil...thanks!

(yeah i do have a full warrenty)