synthetic fields

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by turf hokie, Mar 16, 2009.

1. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I have been asked to look into the needs of a synthetic field. It is brand new and is part of a turf complex that I take care of.

It is being used for soccer and lacrosse right now. I dont know much about these fields and all the seminars around me are over.

I am searching and looking on the internet but thought I would post while I researched.

Can anyone help with the basics of sterilizers and static electricity anything else? The association already has a groomer and brush.

Thanks
    Bryan

2. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

I have no experience with them but have heard that drainage is crucial because many of the infill materials float, meaning it has to be picked up and redistributed often on fields that do not drain well.

Another thing that surprises many people is that it needs to be watered in some circumstances. I remember it being a big PR nightmare for Duke and UNC 2 years ago when the southeast was having such a terrible drought and they were watering artificial turf for women's field hockey.

3. brookviewlawncare

brookviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

We do some synthetic work, redexim has a line of disinfectant that work really well and are cost effective. We clean, vacuum and disinfect with all redexim equipment. http://www.redexim.com/redexim06.html

4. brookviewlawncare

Typically the water is for heat relief http://aces.nmsu.edu/programs/turf/documents/brigham-young-study.pdf

5. coop1109

coop1109 LawnSite Member

We have a Fieldturf football field and all of the above is true. The maintenance is fairly straightforward but each field is a little different. You need to brush the field to redistribute any infill material that has shifted. Need something to pick up leaves, sunflower seeds, peanut hulls etc. The Redexim products are excellent.

We do water our field to cool it but also to knock down the dust and pollen. If we go a few days without rain in the spring, it looks like clouds of pollen when the players hit the field.

Also, watch the temp of the field for safety sake. Last year in Aug. we reached 179 degrees at the surface. Could only walk on it for about 10 min before your feet were burning.

Good luck.

6. brookviewlawncare

The Redexim products are excellent.

What Redexim products do you have?

Do you use the Redexim (CSG) line of chemicals?