Synthetic in mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr. Magpie, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you use synthetic oil in your mowers? I have a new commercial 21" Snapper with Honda motor that I want to last a long time. I know synthetic helps engines run cooler and prolongs life tremendously. I don't want the annoying fractional loses in power with this mower, is synthetic too thin? Can I use it? The dealer said I can use it after a 100 hours on it, but I am curious.

I won't even bother calling Snapper because I'll never get to talk to an engineer and the rep will just say no. I need some experiencial info.....

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You will want to use the Search Feature here on the site as you will find tons of this same question with lots of answers there.

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I would put it in right now, you want to use the thinner molecules before to get any tolerances that the thinner oil will pass through, like past the rings. Modern thinking is going towards thinner oils, they flow faster providing better lube as well as running cooler oil temps. My new ford 330 runs 0-20w.

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The engine needs a number of hours with regular oil to break in properly.In the case of break in,a certain amount of friction (in relative terms) is a good thing for seating the rings,etc.
    After the 100 hours I would use the synthetic,it does make a difference on Kohler motors for sure.
    The synthetic debate is a bit amusing because manufacturers are less than diligent to recommend it............my only guess is because they've done all their testing with dyno oil and have no legal backup to advise the use of syn oil if a motor blows and someone decides to take them to court...............you know the great lawyers we have in the good ole USA..........

5. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

Or better yet, they want their mowers to wear out, that way they can keep selling them!!!!

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Point taken on the wear out issue but I don't believe I'd replace a Lazer over a blown engine with lower hours on it.............

7. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

New Vettes come with syn. oil from the factory, so did my 2004 Ford 5.4 F150.

At first oil change, changed all my mowers to syn. Less heat and wear.

I also run syn. 2 cycle.payup

8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I run synthetic only. Have a 15 Kohler, and a 15 Kaw. I change the filter only at 50 hrs, and the whole deal at 100 - Absolutely no oil consumption on either engine. They absolutely stay on the full mark for the entire time. I also run synthetic in all my cars and my truck (Dodge V10 - takes about 9000 miles to use the first quart. - I change filter at 5000, and the whole deal at 10,000). Thanks. brad

9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Synthetic is better than dino oil. Period.

That said, I would not dump $4.00 a quart oil into my 82' diesel pickup, as it burns/ leaks it pretty fast... But the mobile one in my wife's Woo' get's changed every 7500 miles.. 58,000 miles so far and 0 engine problems... Both my mowers will get the mobile one at their next changes....

10. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Mr. Magpie, I bought a Snapper Fastback Pro Z with a 21hp Kawasaki about 2 months ago and that came with synthetic in it. I've changed oil a couple times and put the Snapper synthetic back in as it will double my engine warranty.

Buck