Synthetic oil....AFTER 50 hours?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Feb 13, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

I was reading Kohler's engine manual for the Command series engines, and it says if you want to use synthetic fluid, to only do so AFTER 50 hours, so as to allow the piston and rings to settle in. Is this a load of crap? I've been thinking about swapping out all the fluids and filters on our Bad Boys coming in to synthetic AMSOIL stuff, but I don't want to do so at the expense of the engines' lifespan.

2. TOOLSHACK

TOOLSHACK LawnSite Member

The information provided in the manual is 100% correct.

Synthetic oil is too good. Sounds strange, I know... but there's a reason.

Normal petroleum based oils have less lubricity and allow for more wear. During any break-in period (on any vehicle or engine) you WANT the parts to wear "together"...it makes for a better fit and allow things to work mor efficiently. AFTER the break-in period, switch over to a synthetic oil, and never look back. Your engine will love you for it.

This has been a common practice in auto racing circles... especially in NASCAR. As a matter of fact, Joe Gibbs has his own line of racing oils...and he has seperate ones for break-in and others for post break-in.

3. KarambaStar

KarambaStar LawnSite Member

It's true. Same way with 2-strokes. BREAK IN the engine before switching to synthetic.

4. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Why not synthetic oil? I change my Honda Trimmer, Lawn mower and tiller all to synthetic Mobil 1 10-30 after 5 hours of use from new!!! You mean I shouldn't!!!!:dizzy:

I just change my Honda trimmer yesterday, should I drain it and replace back with crap oil ( Honda oil!!)

5. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Wait 50 to 100 hours this is to have a good break in period:drinkup:

6. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

that is no crap.:drinkup:

7. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

Toolshack is 100% correct! You want the rings to seat before switching to synthetic oil, the syn is too slick to let the rings seat, and you will notice more oil consumption if you dont wait....my 2 cents

8. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

You use your trimmer at your house only right? You are a homeowner posting in the commercial mowing forums if I remember right. How can you possibly have 5 hours of trimming on that trimmer already unless you haven 't pulled out the mower since you bought it.

More likely than not, you could safely get away either leaving that synthetic oil in their or changing it back out. You are not running the heck out of those machines.

9. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I maintain my rental properties. I am a gas engine fanatic, I use all excuse to start my engines!!!!! I think I am going to change it out. My mower and tiller are cheapy so, I am not going to worry. My Honda is my pet toy!!!!

Hey I am a Yahama drummer!!!! I have the electric one!!!!! Talk about low noise!!!:laugh: I was a serious musician in the good old days (70s)

10. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Some engines come with non detergent oil so the break-in is done within a few hours.
    I would consider 10 hours to be a minimum before putting full synthetic oil in an engine.
    Most 2 strokes engines can use synthetic right away though...