synthetic oil in 23 hp kawasaki

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SKAT LAWN, Mar 8, 2006.

1. SKAT LAWN

SKAT LAWN LawnSite Member

good to use or not? thanks

2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

seems like a waste of money to me

3. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

It's more important to keep the oil clean and the air filter clean then to worry about what kind of oil is in the engine. It's not a jet engine and it's not a car engine getting red lined. It's a lawn mower engine. It's the dirt that gets into these engines that does the damage. And also the employees but that's another problem altogether.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen Kawasakis develop a lifter tick with synthetic oil. I use Penzoil 10w30 dino oil in my Kawi twins.

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

RTFM and follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

Oldtime

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

You can run it after a break in period...100-200 hours

7. bwilder10h

bwilder10h LawnSite Member

I switched to Mobil 1 10w30 in my 17 kaw after break-in and you would be surprised the difference. The mower goes through taller grass easier with less engine bog and uses less fuel.

I'm using about 15% less fuel in the mower since switching to synthetic.

8. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

The engine break-in is what resulted in the 15% fuel savings. There is no way in heell a switch from dino to synthetic will save you 15%. That would be the solution to the fuel crisis in America! You could make millions, no billions with this idea!

As for switching to synthetic only after break-in - that is a myth (see the Mobil 1 website). Many vehicles come from the factory with synthetic in the sump - Corvette, Polaris ATVs, etc etc.

I totally agree with the poster above who said that regular oil and filter changes, and clean air filters are way more important than synthetic oil. Do the correct maintenance and the engine will outlast the mower, even with dino oil in the sump. In a small engine synthetic does little for you except empty your pocket book. The oil change intervals are the same, just more expensive!

In the end of course, it is your choice!!

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Is Kaws oil a Synthetic??

10. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Oil change intervals are not the same with different oils.

If you want to learn something go to www.bobistheoilguy.com They have a forum with a Lawn & Garden section. Read about different oils and you will see.

I dont see how spending $1 more per quart of oil in a machine that only takes a quart and a half is going to kill your pocketbook!