1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Synthetic Oil in a Diesel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gl1200a, Apr 9, 2004.

1. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I'm getting a JD 355D. Can you use synthetic oil in a diesel. And what would you recommend?

Thanks much.
  2. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

Not unless it's a version specifically meant for Diesel, The oil meant for diesel application's has a very high amount of detergents with relation to other oils because diesel's run so dirty, You should also be very careful not to come into contact w/used diesel oil too often because it's known to cause health problems later on. The only reason they're exempt from emission testing here in Ga and many other locales is because they don't create ozone harming emissions
  3. lawnGUYnMD

lawnGUYnMD LawnSite Member

I have a 355D and my dealer told me to not use synthetic oils in it as it does not have the amount of detergents in it for the engine.
  4. MandT Lawn Care

MandT Lawn Care LawnSite Member

search the web there is a synthetic diesel oil out i think amsoil has one but not sure, there is syn diesel oil for trucks but not sure if its for smaller engines.
  5. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Amsoil has a 15W40 that is awesome, amsoil is all I run in everything!
  6. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

There are plenty of snythetic diesel engine oils. The newest rating for a diesel engine oil is CI-4. What spec does the engine on the mower call for.

I run synthetic engine oil in my Cummins engine in the truck only for the enhanced cold weather properties of the synthetics, but if I had a diesel powered mower I'm not certain I would run synthetics in that. Given that it is only run in the warmer months I would probably stick with a conventional 15w40 diesel rated engine oil.

Actually I probably would run synthetics in the diesel powered mower if I owned one but only in the interest in keeping fewer oils on the shelf. If I did not drive a diesel powered truck that I was running synthetic oil in I would not run synthetics in a diesel mower.
  7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

we run amsoil in everything diesels and non diesels......works awesome
  8. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

This was taken from the Mobile 1 site................................................

Myth:Mobil 1 can't be used in diesel engines.
    Truth:Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ will provide excellent service for passenger car and light-duty truck diesel engines (API CF or CD), as well as European diesel cars that require ACEA-quality oils. (This is the oil specification used in Europe and developed by European car companies.)

Heavy-duty truck engines that require API CE, CF-4, CG-4, CH-4 or CI-4 should use one of the products from the Delvac® line – Mobil Delvac 1® synthetic engine oil or Mobil Delvac 1300 Super®. Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic oil can help improve fuel economy, extend oil drain intervals, extend engine life, provide enhanced wear/cleanliness protection and reduce oil consumption. Delvac products can be purchased at a large number of truck stops across America, some retail stores, auto parts stores and from ExxonMobil distributors.