Synthetic oil in mowers? do you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, Feb 8, 2006.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

How many of you use synthetic oil in the motors of your mowers? I have personaly witnessed a Buick with a V8 have over 300,000 miles on it being torn down for a freshen up rebuild. The motor got Mobile 1 every 3,000 miles and when it was torn down it was so clean you could eat off it. There was still the original factory cross hatches in the bore's and no wear ridges at the top of each cylinder. Also the bearings looked brand new and not worn down. The guy figured it was time to rebuild it but it really didnt need it at all.

Now if it works that well in a car engine I dont see why it wouldnt work wonders in a mower engine. I know mowers operate in a completely different climate with all the dirt and dust but if a person keeps there air and fuel filters clean or changed I personaly dont see how hardly any dirt could penetrate and contaminate the motor oil.

I know its a bad bad idea to switch an older higher mileage or higher hour engine over to synthetic because they can develop oil leaks. I am thinking about switching our Kawi over because it only has less than 400 hours on it.

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I use Amsoil in everything, all equipment including hand held equipment, and my vehicles. I think it's worth the investment and worth not having breakdowns as soon. The other company I work for uses cheap oil and has many, many engine problems that I think can be attributed to cheap oil. I'm all for buying the best, because my philosophy is that it will pay off in the long run.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Mobil one synthetic in everything

4. vanguard

vanguard LawnSite Member

I'm running Mobil 1 in everything! It's cheaper then the cost of repairs and down time. payup

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I run Castol GTX Conventional oil. I change it often so synthetic would be a waste of $$$ every 2,000-3500 miles.

6. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on the application. I stopped using Mobil 1 in my vehicles because every one of them developed leaks within a month of switching.

Another problem is that synthetic oil will drain off of parts faster, meaning that if you let the engine sit a few days between use, your cam will be dry.

I use a synthetic blend (Valvoline Durablend) in most of my stuff. Have 342,000 miles on my Tahoe, and oil consumption is minimal.

Lest you think Mobil 1 is the best thing on earth, consider that the FAA BANNED it (Mobil AV-1 synthetic) for use in aircraft because of so many failures. Turns out that it was not compatible with the leaded fuel used in airplanes. Like I said, it depends on the application. In fact, airplane oil might work well in air-cooled engines on mowers.

I really don't think oil is responsible for most wear in engines, dirt is. Keep a clean air filter on the engine, make sure there are no leaks in the intake system, and change the oil frequently.

7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I use 10-30 full syn supertech, in the mowers, Generac, kohler and kaw's engines. 80-100 hours between oil/filter change.

8. trentslawncare02

trentslawncare02 LawnSite Member

Have used convent. Castrol GTX for over 10 yrs...no engine failures yet. Have a 27hp liquid cooled Kaw in an Exmark Lazer Z with 2400+ hrs. Oil remains clean for 50 hrs...engine still uses NO oil at all...have done nothing other than adjust the valves as recomended!!

I THINK THE BEST THING FOR YOUR ENGINES IS FREQUENT OIL CHANGES...REGARDLESS OF OIL TYPE....AND MAKE SURE YOUR AIR FILTRATION SYSTEM IS CLEAN AND SEALED!!!

9. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I use mobil 1 synthetic in the mower. Change it every 100 hours.

10. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Proper maintenance is most important.

Synthetic is even better with the high temps generated in our engines.

Even with regular oil, engines outlast equipment regularly. It's a matter of good PM and operator care.