synthetic oil or regular oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blaster822, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Blaster822

Blaster822 LawnSite Member

Is synthetic oil any good

I am about to use mobile one synthetic oil

what is good about it and what is the down fall

thank you for careing
    have a good day

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Synthetic oil is great. Most everyone on here uses it. I do not use it if the item does not have a filter then it gets just regular dino oil. What else do you want to know?

Gravely_Man

3. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've tried to read as much as I can on dino vs. synthetic. The only downfall for synthetic is price.
    Just a note I have heard differing stories about whether or not synthetic can lenghten you change intervals.

4. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

All motor companies that I've read on the service intervals (oil changes) states whether you use regular Oil or Synthetic does not change the time frame... In most cases it's probably better for your motor than Regular oil..Doesn't break down as it holds up to Heat Better.. Personally I use regular oil as I keep close changes and oil still looks good when I do change oil...

Lou :cool:

5. mowerparts

mowerparts LawnSite Member

I run Dixie Chopper with the Amsoil bypass fiilter.
    I use all Amsoil products in the mowers, hand held and my trucks.
    No problems at all. I change the oil in the Dixie once a year. The oil is just turning a dark yellow color. You can not do this with dino oil. The Dixie is a Flatlander that is about 10 years old and still going strong.

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I run regular oil and just change it on a regular schedule. No problems so far.

My Honda Prelude had 216,000 miles on it when I gave it to a young man at my church, it's got close to 300,000 on it now. Regualr oil every 3K miles.

Keep your machine clean, keep the cooling vanes on the engine block/heads and the oil cooler free from obstructions and change the filter when you change the oil. Easy and cheap.