synthetic oil...Oregon Only One oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Up North, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Hey guys/gals,
    I made a post a while back about this Oregon "Only One" synthetic oil and promised to post back what my results were with it. It comes in a packet and mixed with one gallon of gas it will take care of all ratio's needed. In other words, I can use that same mixed can of fuel for my 50:1 Echo trimmer & blower, my 50:1 Husky chainsaw,my 24:1 Strikemaster auger, my 45:1 Craftsman brushcutter & Homelite vac. It's similar to the Opti2 oil, Amsoil, and some others I guess.

After using it for awhile, I can report that my trimmer runs much better, my brushcutter runs better, the chainsaw and the vac runs better. Haven't had to use my ice auger yet (but probably will soon enough), and no noticeable difference with the blower. Most of my equipment seems to have more power, and the big thing I noticed was my spark arrestor on the Echo trimmer hasn't plugged up since starting to use this Oregon Only One oil, that was a problem before. I had been using the Echo synthetic before, but still needed to mix it 50:1, 45:1, or 24:1 like petroleum based mixes.

I don't know what the difference is between the Echo synthetic mix and this Oregon Only One is, but I'm sold. Maybe someone out there can help me out on why one works so much better then the other. I do plan on trying the Amsoil synthetic oil next as I'm planning on switching everything over to Amsoil, truck, jeep, atv, snowmobile, etc.

Anyway, there it is for whatever it's worth. I know Beran's Fix It was thinking about trying the Oregon Only One for the shop since they have so many different mixes to use when doing repairs, and I'd definitely recommend the product after using it.

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Buck, Thank you very much for the folllow up on this product. I will have to check this out the next time I am in buying supplies at the dealers.

3. cward

cward LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info Buck. I basically feel the same way about Opti. After playing around with all different makes of oil for my 4-cylcles, I tried opti. Maybe it is me but I believe my equipment run better.
  4. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

No problem guys. Cward, I've heard nothing but good on the Opti oil, I haven't used it myself but I would imagine the Amsoil, Opti, Oregon, and other "all ratio mixes" are all pretty similar. Sure is nice to only have to mix one can vs. having 3-4 cans laying around the shop. Then to top it off with better performance...pretty nice deal.

5. cward

cward LawnSite Member

Amen to that. 2 cans here. I mixed and one regular gas.
  6. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

I use Amsoil, 80 to 1 in everything.

No problems with any of my 2cycle equipment.

Last batch was probably about 90 to 1. Spilled a little. :rolleyes:
  7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Run Opti at 100:1 or any other good oil at 50:1 in all your equipment. We have been running everything on mixed fuel for 20 years in our business. It may cost a little more but losing one piece of equipment pays for a years supply of oil. The only thing we don't put mixed fuel in is our diesel equipment.

8. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

If you are useing 2 or 3 cans you dont need to!!

The ratio listed on the machine doesnt mean anything! You should mix the oil how it tells you on the bottle. I have used many different machines over the years and only use one mix ratio for all of them.

As long as you use a good oil, and mix it like it tells you to, you will be fine on any machine!!

Like - I have an old Chrysler Westbend engine on a go cart. It says to mix straight 30w oil with the gas. What do I use? 50.1 mix form Husqvarna or the Mobil mix.
  9. jtm45

jtm45 LawnSite Member

Use the syn 2 stroke oil, i used the syn oil that came w/Toro trimmer i got, ran great in everything and no residue or smoke. i got some dino mix still around and put that in my old junk 2 strokes but my tanakas get the syn and theres no crud black oil residue dripping from the muffler down all over the engine like w/dino oil. i see that most of the 2 stroke syn oil is a blend, id ont know about one shot i have used it last year, comes in a plastic pop ice bag like deal and it was only a buck and been using syn oil ever synce.. :blob3:
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Synthetic is the only one for me, doesn't matter which brand.

The spark arresters do not plug but you do have to check them depending on use. Gasoline is still a petro product so it will leave a residue but none of that runny unburned oil from too fat a mix and too cool a plug.
    I have used Amsoil at 100:1 in all of my stuff that requires 2 cycle and I will never go back. I am always interested in new products so I will have to look up the Oregon Oil.