1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Synthetic Oil Use In Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cdjohnson7, May 16, 2006.

1. cdjohnson7

cdjohnson7 LawnSite Member

I have seen multiple tests on synthetic oil (supposed to last 2 to three times longer) Any thoughts on this in mowing equipment? Have tried it in my 00 F-350 (amsoil 15w-40 diesel oil) ran it for 15000 miles no problem.
  2. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Synthetic oil is YOUR choice - but DEFINATELY not necessary for long engine life. :usflag:
  3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Oil in a mower will get to dirty long before the oil itself breaks down. I use synthetics but not for the extended drain intervals.

Here is what I use....

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

As stated, regular changes of any oil will extend the life of any engine. Amsoil has a great multiple filter system that is used on vehicles and if I am not mistaken Dixie Choppers. The only way to get extended change intervals is to run in a clean environment or use the multiple filter setup.

Heat is the second culprit for breakdown of oil. We have plenty of that in small engines. Synthetic does stand up to heat better than petro oil. It is also more flowable in cold weather. Take a quart of petrol oil and a quart of synthetic (same weights) and stick it in your freezer overnight. Open and pour them out at the same time in the morning.

Synthetic is more expensive without a doubt. I use it and have had great luck but I know guys who do regular changes of cheap dino oil and the have many hours and miles on their stuff. Your call.
  5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

my 91 honda 21 has had mobil 1 since day one and is still on the job!