Synthetic Oil. What I learned about it.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doublewide6, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Oils of the same weight flow at the same rate regardless of synthetic, dino or blend.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

Conventional oils in low weight start to develop flow difficulties at temps -13F and sooner from my experience in extreme colder climates and take considerably longer warm up periods to retain their normal flow rate where as synthetics oil flow rates develop no back lashes even as far down to -50F. Having relatives up north where temps can drop to as low as -47F is all the proof I need in choosing synthetic oils over conventional multi oils

3. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I have personally dissassembled, inpected, and measured inside engines with over 300,000 miles. I can tell everyone here that synthetic oil will give you a cleaner engine with less wear. Not to mention synthetic has a much lower pour point for cold temp start up and a much higher break down temp.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

5. inHaliburton

inHaliburton LawnSite Member

Worth repeating. This is what synthetic oils are about.

6. inHaliburton

inHaliburton LawnSite Member

Last summer I had occasion to have a head removed on my JD zero turn with 1500 hours on the engine. I'm used to feeling a "ridge" with a finger nail near the top of the cylinder. I've used synthetics since new and was surprised not to find a ridge at all inside the cylinder. Right or wrong, I interpret this to mean very little wear.

7. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

8. Doublewide6

Doublewide6 LawnSite Member

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah. In the end the summary was the most important thing is to simply change the oil. I've preached that here for years.

10. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have guy who works part time and sells amsoil. I don't use it. To costly for me. I change mower oil 75-100hours regardless. Trucks go about 3500-4000 miles. That's gasser engines. I just can't see going 10-15k on oil changes or running 200-500hours on a small engine to save me 10minutes of time to drop oil out of mower. Just me.