Synthetic oil

Discussion in '<a href= target=_blank ?>Sn' started by 2 shot, Feb 13, 2001.

1. 2 shot

2 shot LawnSite Member

Do any of you use synthetic tranny fluid in the trannys of your
    plow trucks and if so do they run cooler. The reason I ask is they want 250.00 to 300.00 to convert from regular to
    synthetic at the local "lube" shop

JD PLOWER LawnSite Member

2 shot, I use the synthetic fluid and it does help with shift smoothness and the temperature. I would say that it is worth the extra cost.
  3. Alan

Alan Member

2 Shot, they're working a scam on ya. There is nothing that has to be done to "convert" from conventional to synthetic lubricants. Synthetics are compatible with standard lubricants. If you swap fluids with a filter change you will have about half synthetic in there. Next time you do it and use synthetic you will be around 3/4 synthetic, etc. What are they doing for that much money? I'm an Amsoil dealer, I use synthetics in my stuff. It works, it's not that it necessarily runs cooler, but the synthetic fluid can tolerate more heat before it starts to break down and lose lubricating and cleaning properties. I would definately switch over, but I'd also find a shop that will do it without boning you quite so bad for the service.