Synthetic Oil?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by KS_Grasscutter, Jun 11, 2006.

1. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Ok, heres the deal...my new Dixon had about 9.2 hrs on it, so I changed the oil (Supposed to at 5-10 hrs, then every 50, according to dealer). Anyway, I went to TSC and got my $10/quart (2 of them) B & S synthetic motor oil, and a oil filter. Now I hear from a friend of mine you should wait till 50 hrs. to use synthetic...

I REALLY dont want to screw up the 20 hp B&S engine, but I dont want to spend over $27.00 on an oil change and then have to redo it, if i dont have to (not to mention the frustration of the stupid @$$ design of the oil drain). I have put about 3 hrs on it since the oil change. What do ya'll think? Will i be fine, or should i put in regular oil?

Thanks,
    KS_Grasscutter

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i would drain the synthetic and put regular in until 50 hrs. my dealer told me to wait until 50-100 hrs. before switching over. the reason being is that the valve seals or something like that have to set, and the synthetic oil does something that could cause a leak in the first 50 hours.