Synthetic Oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awagner9, Jun 13, 2008.

1. awagner9

awagner9 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW,Ohio

Is sny oil better for kolhers?

2. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Look at the KOhler post that is on here now its has what you need

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The oil it's self is better, I think Kohler puts some engine specific additives in their oil though. I run synthetic with no problems in all my air cooled equipment. The synthetic won't break down as fast and will hold up better under the heat. Not sure how much difference it will make in the long run if you change your oil regularly. ProStreetCamaro is getting a lot of hours out of his Kohlers with synthetic.

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah thats true except for the kohler we are having issues with right now. 110 hours on the clock and she is burning oil off quickly. I know I praise kohler up and down but right this second it looks like we got a lemon. The dealer we purchased it from has seemed rather shady to us ever since we bought the mower so we are leary to take it to them. I may go ahead and pull the head on the side thats burning the oil and see if the head gasket is blown.

Both cylinders register 170psi on a compression test. I need to do a leak down test next and see if that shows anything. If its a head gasket i will probably fix it myself because I dont trust dealers to much. I looked it up and the complete head gasket kit is $18 and it comes with new head bolts and everything.

Video

[​IMG]

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Let us know how it turns out and about your trouble shooting procedures to isolate the problem. I might learn something. I just checked the Briggs compression and it only reads 150 psi (cold).

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I'll make sure to keep posted as to what I find. 150 psi is still very good. An engine will run on only 60 psi. Each engine is designed differently and im willing to bet 150 is right on the money for that briggs.

7. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

I know of no reason why you can't run synthetic oil in Kohler engines. Here is a link to Amsoil ASE Small Engine Oil. Selling a ton of it w/ no complaints. Keeping these engines cool is the key to long lasting engines. Synthetics help achieve this easier. Amsoil commercial accounts are free to you business owners and you save 20-30% off retail prices.

www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=151372&page=storefront/ase

8. N.TX

N.TX LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

Im not too sure of this but my dealer said not to run synthetic and that guys have been burning up valves because of it. I started running synthetic in my old z and it is now burning oil like crazy with only 800hrs on the engine. Im going to just run kohler oil .... its cheap and made for it. I change it once every 40-55hrs

9. slapshotat90

slapshotat90 LawnSite Member

If its an air cooled engine, it can get too hot for normal oil. Make sure to run an oil thats rated to be run in an air cooled engine. Otherwise it will get too thin and parts can wear.

10. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

As long as the Synthetic you run is rated for use in a DIESEL engine it will handle the heat of an air cooled engine no-problem. And I know for a fact that AmsOil, Mobil, and if IRCC castrol syntec is all rated for use in compression ignition engines (diesel).

I've been running Mobil1 10w30 in my B&S Vangaurd 23 twin with no complaints since 10hours.

If you don't want to run sythetics, I would REALLY recomend using a heavy duty diesel oil such as Shell Rotella-T or Mobil Delvac oil.