Synthetic oil ????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Navig8r, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

My Lazer Z HP is new and due for an oil change.
    It has the 23 HP Kawi (air cooled)

I'm considering running synthetic oil in this machine because of the high temps of the air-cooled motor.

What I'm wondering is;
    Does anyone run synthetics, and, if so, what type?
    Any bad experiences with synthetics? What brands?
    Any other info / thoughts would be great.

I do understand that synthetics are more expensive, but considering the advantages as well as the small capacity of a small engine, the cost is not really a factor to me.

Thanks in advance:drinkup:

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

I switched over to mobile 1 10 w 30 on a machine that already had 1000 hrs and it sure made a difference. Seems to run with more power and seems to run cooler too. It does use a drop here and there compared to other oil but not much at all. I do put a few more hrs on between oil changes too but nothing major hr wise. Good stuff and glad i did it
  3. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Quaker State full synthetic 10-30. In the 23 Kaw. as well as the 15 Kaw. twin.
    The best route is to have the oil tested,which I have not done.
    I have it tested in my truck every other change. Just have not done it with the mower oil.
    I run a Lesco Viper ZTR and when I changed over to the QS I called the techs at Lesco in Cinn. to make sure it was a smart move.
    They said it should be fine. I put synthetics in the hydro system as well.
    The lower temps. were enough for me to make the change!
  4. amsoil in all mowers at very first oil change no problems what so ever.

Use their oil filters to and two cycle oil.
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

mobile one is what i use ,but have noticed the synthetics that all use to be rated g2.
    are now g3. that was the only spec i could find about mobile that was different than the others. even super tech. has the same rating ,to best of my knowledge.
    i use mobile because it doesnt change appreciably in the hydro,where it runs cool compared to other dino oils and is given credit for lazers being able to run only 2 quarts. whether the others have really matched it now ,i dont know.
    one thing i do know is contrary to what ive heard ,it does change after excessive hrs in the engine. test ,after changing oil . put a quart in an empty oil container.[after 50 hrs oil really will show a difference]
    now a new quart. pour both oils into a clean container . u see if they pour the same. this of course after letting both come to the same room temp.
    ive also been told the synthetic while better lube does build acids that dino does not. now i told u what i think . somebody tell us what they know.
  6. Alan

Alan Member

I'm running Amsoil 10-40 and changing once a year. This is in an Exmark with a 25 Kohler which logs about 250 hrs a year. I change filters at the halfway point. After a full season of run the oil is not cooked black and getting thick like dino oil does.
  7. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I just switched to Valvoline 10w30 Synpower after clocking 100 hours on the Lazer. It hasn't blown up yet.;)

I switched to Amsoil 10w- 40 'Motorcycle oil' in the JD 18hp Liquid seems to run smoother, I switched it after 500 and some hours.

I'll probably switch off the Amsoil;, although I'm a dealer:rolleyes: because its too much of a hassle to order it.

My stihl equipment doesn't run right is really hot dry weather with the 100 to 1 Amsoil 2 stroke oil. But mixed 50 to 1 it runs OK, but not any better then with stihl oil..:(
  8. ceaman

ceaman LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I run Amsoil and mobil one in everything... I switched to it in the spring. The two cycle equipment runs cleaner (unbeliveable power increase) on the amsoil 100:1 pre mix. My daughters dirtbike is running on the Amsoil injector oil. My mowers run the amsoil synthetic, the truck gets the mobil one.
  9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

billy ,my experiments with these products brought he same results. some fellas swear by the 100-1 mixes,so it must be my problem was user related. but ill stick to echo or stihl mix an 90 or above. makes home owner stuff last like commercial . commercial equipment im not sure as i havnt worn a motor out with that mix plus my equipment cranks so easy as to not even be a factor,without any oil or carbon build up at the exhaust.
  10. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering, because I did a search on Amsoil and saw that you liked at back when you first tried it. Me too! :rolleyes:

When its hot, and I run the trimmer hard, it will bog down and not idle. Then its almost impossible to get started..:mad: