Synthetic Oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mh1314, Sep 17, 2003.

1. mh1314

mh1314 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Could you still swithc to synthetic oil in the hydro of a unit with 150 hours without any problems? Does there need to be any change in the type of hydro filter?

2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Aren't hydros suppose to use synthetic anyway?

3. kerrazy

kerrazy LawnSite Member

I have only used Mobil 1 synthetic in my hydro, I dont think you should have regular oil in there. Check you owners manual to see what it says.

4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I believe you're only supposed to use synthetic oil due to its tolerance to high temps. If you have regular oil in your hydros you better get ready to take it to the shop. It's going to break down any time now.

5. Shultz

Shultz LawnSite Member

I think scag specifies NOT to use synthetic in the manual. Guess it depends on your hydro system.

6. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

My lesco WB uses regular 20w50. Never had a problem. Except that it took like 7 or 8 quarts to refill.

7. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on the equipment. All of our equipment uses non-synthetic oils in the hydros. Never had much problems, some units with over 7000 hrs.
    Some newer equipment specify synthetic since their units do not have oil coolers. Without oil coolers non-synethics break down.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Walker comes from the factory with Mobil 1 synthetic. I believe Exmark also does. So does the Corvette.

9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

In regards to your question, I do not think you will have a problem.. this is steming from changing over from regular oil in my truck engine. I talked it over with the manager of the shop (who has been wrenching for 30 years and we had a hour discution on this) that maintains my vehicles and he stated that they will mix fine and cause no problem.
    I do not thing if it will not do this in a engine a hydro would not be any differant.

10. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with SDWALLY but to be absolutely sure of what to use the best thing you could do is consult your owners manual.
    BobR