Synthetic Oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CaptainAmerica, Nov 9, 2003.

1. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica LawnSite Member

Are synthetic oils worth the price? Are they better?

2. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

From what I hear all they do is make things stick, not lubricate and cool.

3. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Its the best for newer equipment and ones that call for sythetic.

4. I put amsoil or mobil one synthectic in everything mowers trucks hydro tanks.

5. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

The only place you will notice a difference between synthetic oils and regular oils is in high performance applications. You may get a little extra life out of your engine, but in my opinion it is not even close to being worth the extra money.

6. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Capt, have been using Mobil 1 for years in everything possible. Had occasion to go into some engines for non-break down reasons, changing intakes, timing belts, etc.
    On engines I've had since new, with Mobil1 all the way, have had NO wear of any part(s) that would normally show signs of wear or fatigue.
    ---------------------------------------------
    quote from Lawn Boy Pro
    From what I hear all they do is make things stick, not lubricate and cool.
    -------------------------------------------
    Just the opposite is true for the oils.
    What you describe, I've seen happen in engines where the product 'Slick 50' has been used and left in too long. Slick has a Teflon base and will begin to gum up with age.

------------------------------------------
    quote from Let it grow
    The only place you will notice a difference between synthetic oils and regular oils is in high performance applications. You may get a little extra life out of your engine, but in my opinion it is not even close to being worth the extra money.
    -------------------------------------------
    This may depend on your definition of "high performance". If you mean as in racing applications only, this is not true.
    If you mean as in severe wear driving conditions as described in most owners manuals, this is accurate.

Synthetics reduce friction, and thereby reduce heat, the two main mechanical reasons of failure controllable by lubrication.

7. chief5139

chief5139 LawnSite Member

The only reason i use Synthetic oil is because optimol-4 doubles my engine warrenties

8. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

No I don't mean in racing applications only. I mean in very severe wear driving. Yes synthetics reduce friction, but what I'm saying is that the normal everyday driver would not benefit much from using synthetic engine oils. And it would save them a lot of money to just use regular oil.

9. I agree with that let it grow the everyday driver is wasteing their money on synthectic.

Putting it in the truck towing a a ton of equipment is were the benefits of synthetic shine.

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I disagree the everyday driver can double the life of the engine & trans it sure not wasting $$$$. I've used amsoil for yrs and never regretted the extra cost. when you tear a skid steer or trac down and there like new with no wear after mic. the pieces and they have 6-8k hrs. It tends to make a believer out of you.

Mac