1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Synthetic Oils

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jan 8, 2006.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

After completing the first year of operations with crews running around without me, I am figuring we'll put about 10,000 per year on a F-150.

The plan, up to this point, was to buy the cheaper oil at Wal-Mart and change the oil once every 3K miles. But now I am thinking I can buy the synthetic stuff and I will change the oil once a year myself every winter.

Is 10,000 miles between oil changes too much if you are using synthetic oils?

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I run Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic in my truck. They are fine to go 10,000 miles between oil changes. I dont know why anyone would put that cheap Wal-Mart oil in their vehicles.
  3. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to run Mobil 1, but no longer. Everything I put it in developed leaks within weeks.

You don't drive your vehicle very much. Infrequent operation allows acids to build up in the oil. I'd recommend changing more frequently.

One other thing, Mobil 1 won't stay on camshafts for long periods, it drips off. This means that if your vehicle sits for a few days at a time without being driven, you'll get MORE wear on these parts. I'd recommend a synthetic BLEND oil that will give the superior lubrication of a synthetic, but won't leak as badly or drain back to the oil pan as quickly as a straight synthetic.
  4. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Yes. The trucks are parked idle for all day Saturday & Sunday and then they pretty much sit idle from mid-November until late February. Perhaps a blend is the way to go. I am guessing once a year oil changes with that would be ok too.

DFW Area Landscaper
  5. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Amsoil turbo formulated 10-30 w. I use on every single engine I have, F-150, 17 kawi, Mercury 70 outboard (2-stroke HP injector), 12.5 kawi. To these days never have to spend money on engine internal repair, except maintenance waterpump and timing belt.
  6. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

go to bobs the oil guy . com web site and you can read used oil samples that have been checked and find out a lot of truths to motor oils and oil change intervals.and you may find like i did that some of these oils,(2 have been mentioned) are overated and hype that is just a waste of money.also i have seen used oil samples post on btog of wal mart supertech oil and it was impressive,probaly as good as oil as there is.the trick is not the oil,but to change it as manuf says,use a good filter,and very important keep fresh air filter.this is just my opinon,i use havoline oil and a napa gold filter and never had a oil related problem.
  7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Actually if you go to Bobs The Oil Guy www site and read the unbiased lab reports on submitted oils you we see that the Wally World Full Synthetic holds up just as well as Mobil 1 during 7,500 miles and even somewhat better at 10,000 miles. No doubt Mobil 1 is a great oil but reports are solid information too though and not just talking. So, I switched to it in my trucks after reading several lab reports on it cause here Mobil 1 is $7 a quart now and the WM Syn is $13 for a 5 quart jug. I have been extremely pleased with it since I switched.
  8. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Well, I decided to buy the Mobile1 Gold Synthetic. The label says it is good for 15,000 miles, which means I'll be able to change the oil in my trucks once a year, every January.

A 5 gallon jug of it was about $26 at Wal-Mart. Probably the same as the SuperTech Synthetic, but the label on the Wal-Mart product doesn't have a recommended change interval.

I am also getting all the inspections done this month. As they are now, they are a different month for each truck and they are all due during the mowing season. I simply don't have time to drive them all to inspection stations during the season and then deal with fixing whatever it is that fails.

I am finding that maintaining a fleet of vehicles is a job.

DFW Area Landscaper
  9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You have to remember this too though. Those recommended change intervals are for "normal" driving, not pulling a trailer in hot conditions. Because you are pulling a trailer esp during hot weather no way I'd go 15K miles. I only go 5,000 even on syn, but I wouldn't go further than 7,500 in any case. Certainly not 15K, I don't think I'd go that far even without towing.

You also need to remember to change the transmission fluid and filter too as that will be very important as well because of consistant towing.
  10. MEDIC470

MEDIC470 LawnSite Member

we run synthetic in all of our machinery Mobil to be specific.